Author Topic: Air compressor  (Read 5404 times)

Offline walleyetracker85

• Kicker
Air compressor
« on: 01/12/15 15:17 UTC »
Hey guys just looking at the do it catalog and I was thinking about buying the d500 compressor. I was wondering if it has a moisturE trap? Sorry it doesn't say anything about one and I know nothing about air compressors. The item number is 5491. It will be used to run tj's tackle powder paint airbrush. Thanks for the help guys

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
Re: Air compressor
« Reply #1 on: 01/12/15 15:41 UTC »
Hey guys just looking at the do it catalog and I was thinking about buying the d500 compressor. I was wondering if it has a moisturE trap? Sorry it doesn't say anything about one and I know nothing about air compressors. The item number is 5491. It will be used to run tj's tackle powder paint airbrush. Thanks for the help guys

It does not come with a moisture trap.  That is something you will need to add.  You should also know that it is tankless.  It runs every time you ask for air.  A compressor with a tank will run only when the tank gets to a certain level.  That sometimes surprises people.
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline walleyetracker85

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/15 16:21 UTC »
Jerry,

Thanks for the reply. Where do you recommend getting moisture traps? Would like menards have them? I'm our guys opinions would you rather have a tank or tankless compressor? Thanks again

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #3 on: 01/12/15 16:32 UTC »
I would check with your local Hardware, Home Improvement Store or Farm and Fleet.  Yes, I'm sure Menards can help you out. 

I prefer to have a tank so that the compressor only runs once in a while.  Tankless models go vrroom, vrroom, vrroom, every time you actuate the brush.  That would drive me nuts after a while.  Unless you had enough hose to put it in another room or on the other side of the property.
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/15 18:58 UTC »
I would go with a tank too.  A nice five or ten gallon tank would be nice. Get a good drier as powder paint does not like moisture.

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/12/15 20:11 UTC »
I would check with your local Hardware, Home Improvement Store or Farm and Fleet.  Yes, I'm sure Menards can help you out. 

I prefer to have a tank so that the compressor only runs once in a while.  Tankless models go vrroom, vrroom, vrroom, every time you actuate the brush.  That would drive me nuts after a while.  Unless you had enough hose to put it in another room or on the other side of the property.
How does it go again Jerry? :P

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/12/15 20:13 UTC »
Bbrrrraaappppp!!

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/12/15 20:55 UTC »
Bbrrrraaappppp!!
Mine is more of a errrrrrrrrr errrrrrr ER ER errrrrrrrrrrr ;D
Harbor freight is where I got mine 2.5 gallon oil less it was cheap! I just bought a in line water trap for it and called it good 

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/13/15 00:48 UTC »
I  use a Campbell Housefield garage size air compressor with an aftermarket pressure guage and a water trap and filter.  It is my garage air compressor. Check out an air brush supply or auto paint supply company for the filters.
« Last Edit: 01/13/15 00:54 UTC by pjmcla »

Offline walleyetracker85

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 01/13/15 10:20 UTC »
Thanks for the help guys. I will probably go with a tank one. I have another question though about epoxy. I don't need to put epoxy over powdeR paint correct? Just bake them? I will be making some jigging spoons and stuff with eyes. I will need to put epoxy over the eyes correct? How thick do you guys put it on? Thanks again guys

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 01/13/15 12:06 UTC »
Just back you powder paint is correct I bake at 300 for 30 minutes.  And yes you can epoxy over the eyes no problem.  Little will go a long way on eyes I'm guessing.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 01/13/15 13:27 UTC »
Yes just bake the powder paint.
When I epoxy eyes I use as thin a coat as I can get and just cover over and around the edges of the eyes a little bit.
 I use D2T and sometimes thin bigger batches with a drop or two of denatured alcohol.
« Last Edit: 01/13/15 13:28 UTC by Kasilofchrisn »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 01/13/15 13:33 UTC »
I powder paint, bake in the oven,  then after it cools I put the eyes on with a small drop of Loctite super glue gel. Let set for a day and give it a dip in Seal-coat lure and jig finish.  Wipe off the drip at the bottom of the bait and hang bait until dry and your ready to fish.