Author Topic: Wacky rigging  (Read 7425 times)

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Wacky rigging
« on: 09/23/15 11:37 UTC »
In the early days I rigged straight through the worm like anybody else, but I didn't use this method much because the worms never lasted very long.  Then came the O-ring, but the hook would always end up  in line with the worm which I felt was costing me fish, so again I didn't employ the wacky rig very much. 

A couple years back I got the idea to use two O-rings, crossed, and this solved the hook angle and helped tremendously with longevity.  This was a big enough improvement that the wacky rig was now a regular method for me, however, the crossed O-rings would eventually wear into the worm and cut it with a certain number of fish.

Just this summer I started fishing with a (much larger) folded O-ring and now the worm life is incredible... plus, it cinches on the cast so it's almost impossible to lose the worm.  WAAAY GOODER!!!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Re: Wacky rigging
« Reply #1 on: 09/23/15 11:43 UTC »
I throw this out there because I wished I had put this together 20 years ago... hopefully this will help someone where they won't have to wait 20 years to maximize their wacky worming potential.

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 09/23/15 12:20 UTC »
Great idea.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 09/23/15 14:47 UTC »
Wow...good idea. What size of rings do you use for the Senko?
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #4 on: 09/23/15 22:22 UTC »
I've been using the Do-It wacky jig set up and having great results.  I fished my delta last week and stuck 12 bass to about 4 pounds...all on the same hook and all without an o-ring.  Similar results on Monday with 9 fish to about 5.5 pounds.  I'm usually using ? oz or less.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 09/23/15 22:59 UTC »
Cool idea. Thanks for sharing,Efishnc.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 09/24/15 05:57 UTC »
  That is a good idea. Like Andrew I would like to know what size o-ring you are using. For my wacky rigs I like to use a black 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook and most of the time one with a weed guard on it. Then learn not to set the hook. Just lean into it and let the hook do it's magic. I loose very few fish on a circle hook.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 09/24/15 09:57 UTC »
I've been using the Do-It wacky jig set up and having great results.  I fished my delta last week and stuck 12 bass to about 4 pounds...all on the same hook and all without an o-ring.  Similar results on Monday with 9 fish to about 5.5 pounds.  I'm usually using ? oz or less.

I don’t know how you can manage those numbers on a single worm, Denny.

I would typically only get about 2 or 3 fish before the worm was done, and sometimes just one.  I still have a farm boy’s strength and set my hooks like I’m tossing a bale of hay.  Somehow I’m betting a lawyer’s hook set is more like retracting a ballpoint pen, so that might be part of it...

And then there’s probably some agenda out there where the bass out there have been conditioned not to fight – they’ve learned to “tolerate” the hook; disregarding their own desires, they submit to the prevailing movement; and in general, they probably realize “it’s their time”...

Pretty soon they will be obligated to jump in the boat, giving everyone an equal chance, so the inexperienced anglers won’t suffer from low self-esteem... imagine how long a worm will last then!!! (Looks like the special California black market plastics won’t be so expensive after all.)  ::)

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 09/24/15 09:59 UTC »
Andy/Lamar -  I believe it is a 20mm O-ring.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #9 on: 09/24/15 10:41 UTC »
Sorry if I misled you guys.  It was not intentional.  I fished about seven or eight hours each of those days.  Most of the fishing was done using wacky rigged senkos (Dirty Lamar's).  Most of the small fish came from throwing into riprap banks with the bigger fish coming from sparse tules at between 4'-6' deep.  I didn't keep track of the senkos I lost, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't more than six or seven for both days.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 09/24/15 10:53 UTC »
OK, What's the pattern for Dirty Lamar?

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 09/24/15 14:06 UTC »
OK, What's the pattern for Dirty Lamar?

That's a secret and lawyer can't keep secrets.