Author Topic: What's the oldest plastic you've used?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
What's the oldest plastic you've used?
« on: 01/29/21 11:03 UTC »
Referring to the liquid raw plastic.

I found a gallon box of Caney Creek Hard formula shoved way back under a closet shelf yesterday. Never been opened so I popped flaps and took the bag out to see if there was much hard pack. Of course there was significant settling so I went on with the shaking and squeezing therapy for about a half hour and it really looks not bad. I can't see any chunks or anything when I look at the bottom side of the bag. Do-It acquired Caney Creek years ago si this is some old plastic. I was just curious if any of you have played with plastic this old before or if its worth it to even cook it? I don't want to heat up the work room for nothing if I don't have to.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Online Lines

• Lunker
Re: What's the oldest plastic you've used?
« Reply #1 on: 01/29/21 12:22 UTC »
Guess you really don't "have to" heat up the shop now. It won't hurt the plastic any more to wait until natural warmth rolls around. :)
I poured some baits outside under the carport the last couple of days. 70° Monday and Tuesday here. Sorry, I had to bring it up. :D

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/29/21 14:54 UTC »
I have some fairly old plastic that I use for dark colors. It's a bubbly mess and scorches pretty easy but for black or green it's okay.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/29/21 19:04 UTC »
I poured some baits outside under the carport the last couple of days. 70° Monday and Tuesday here. Sorry, I had to bring it up. :D

Nice. I guess its a good thing that Dave [aka efishnc] went to the Do-It headquarters today as a MAJOR winter storm is taking aim at not only Do-It's digs but Dave's. Supposed to have lots of ice first, then snow in inches. Maybe an inch or two for Lamberson and myself.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/30/21 12:02 UTC »
I still have some CC plastic in various boxes in my garage (though only regular formula)... and as long as you plan on it being cloudy from the get-go, I think it's fine for all colors (even going as light as mo's milk), but glitter definitely gets obscured.  I've not had the scorching issues DF mentions, but it might be because I heat shorter/slower burst and let it rest as it gets closer to injecting temps (which I do to allow the bubbles to dissipate).

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/31/21 18:26 UTC »
The Calhoun’s I’m using now is at least 10 years old. Maybe a little older.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/01/21 07:44 UTC »
I had some darkening issues with some old plastic I had around. Use some heat stabilizer and make some darker colors with it.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/01/21 14:18 UTC »
I had some older lureworks plastic sitting in a jug that I found from when we moved 4 years ago.  It bubbles a good bit and tends to want to scorch more readily than newer plastic but definitely still works.  Tend to only use it for darker colors.

Offline toadfrog

• Yearling
« Reply #8 on: 02/01/21 20:53 UTC »
Five year old plastic. worked fine . But I keep all plastics liquid paints or silicone skirts in a dark atmosphere with temps that don't get over 40 degrees.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/02/21 07:20 UTC »
I keep mine in the house so it is climate controlled. I've been pouring for about 5 years and still got some 2nd hand stuff from back then. I have no idea how old but it has a reddish hue when heated so I make dark baits with it.