Author Topic: Cabin time and Lake Superior  (Read 1189 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Cabin time and Lake Superior
« on: 08/07/20 13:44 UTC »
We just got home from the cabin after a near-week's stay. Beautiful weather, not bad for bugs and the fish were cooperating to a small extent.

On Thursday morning I hooked a real nice red fin lake Trout...the eaters of the Lake Trout clan. This one measured at just under twenty inches...maybe 2 3/4 pounds. Nice table for two size. On Thursday afternoon from the same exact spot on the breakwater on my second cast I stuck a really decent Steelhead....28-29" and thick, maybe 9 pounds. Six near 100 yard runs, 17 jumps...the critter was manic. I finally got it to the net, and then the Krokodile lure dropped off its jaw. Go figure that one. Male fish with a slightly hooked jaw yet from the spring's spawn and it wore the crimson lateral line. The day was hot and the fish needed to get back in the water after all the exertion in the warmer surface water so not pics on this one. Minnesota law requires all unclipped Steelhead be immediately released. On Wisconsin's coast this fish could have been kept and would end up on a plate, so releasing it was no problem at all for me. There is no other fish in the Great Lakes that has the aerial antics and outstanding running power of a Steelhead. I average catching about one per season and like a year ago this one was a true dandy. 
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Cabin time and Lake Superior
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/20 20:51 UTC »
Glad that your trip have been successful and the weather has behaved. As always great to hear about the adventures that you two have throughout the year.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
Re: Cabin time and Lake Superior
« Reply #2 on: 08/10/20 07:25 UTC »
Sounds like a great trip.