Author Topic: Clean jig eyes using shrink tube  (Read 8514 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Clean jig eyes using shrink tube
« Reply #15 on: 06/16/17 07:35 UTC »
Yes, the racks fit into toaster ovens. I suspect they designed them specifically for toaster ovens.

Take a couple sizes of hooks with you to the hardware store to give it a visual test fit. At $2 a package (which will last for a LOT of hooks!) You can probably afford a couple sizes!  Remember that the tubing shrinks 50% so the small size will work on some pretty tiny hooks.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 06/16/17 08:02 UTC »
Powder paint in hook eyes isn't only hard to clean out, but if left until after heat curing the paint can leave almost invisible, extremely sharp-eged shards in the area of the eye of hooks. Line can get cut pretty quick, especially small and light line weight monos and braid. I was having one heck of a time with a new head getting the knot to hold when I cinched it up tight until a took a real close look and found a small sliver of cured paint still stuck to the hook's eye in the area where the line tightened. I've also have had new line cut off in the middle of the knot while bringing a fish in and suspect that cured paint residue was the culprit.

So Andy.....I make tons of jigs on size 8 and six hooks.....what size shrink tube should I shop for? All I ever see is stuff for big wire.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 06/16/17 08:23 UTC »
Tom I saw some stuff on ebay that was 5/128" about 1 mm that should work on some pretty small stuff I would think.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 06/16/17 09:00 UTC »
Mike...if you get back to that site, cut/paste a link to the stuff here for me. Thanks bud!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Mike J

• Lunker

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 06/16/17 15:34 UTC »
The smallest size heat shrink that my store (Fleet Farm) sells is 3/32" (2.4mm). The smallest Mustad 570 I have is a #6 and the largest is a 3/0 and I was able to get it to work on both, but they were clearly the smallest and largest that it would work on!

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 06/16/17 15:39 UTC »
Thanks guys. I'll hit Fleet Farm this weekend and get a package to try. If it works well for me I'll do the ebay thing.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 06/16/17 17:00 UTC »
Yep I'm gonna try it and see how I like it before I buy a bunch.  Thanks for showing how it fit's on those sizes Andrew.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 06/16/17 17:57 UTC »
Thanks for taking the time to show and tell Andrew.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 06/17/17 07:52 UTC »
I read about someone using Teflon tube to cover his hook eye for this purpose, also. Haven't tried it but Teflon works great for base pins.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #25 on: 06/17/17 23:10 UTC »
Brilliant!

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #26 on: 06/24/17 17:08 UTC »
I painted up a dozen or so jigs today using shrink tube on the eyes and it worked out great.  It adds a step or two to your jig making session but it's well worth it to me NOT to have to mess around with paint in the eyes. I was using 1/0 hooks and the 1/8 was a little too big so I went to the hardware store and picked up some 3/32" tube. That size was just about perfect. Thanks for tuning me in to this stuff Andrew. 

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 06/24/17 19:45 UTC »
I agree it adds a,step but we'll worth it.  I've painted 100 this way in the last couple days and i couldn't be happier with this method.

Offline Bucho

• Keeper
« Reply #28 on: 12/24/17 15:23 UTC »
Dipping clogues the eyes; brush-tapping doesn`t. So I dip it only 2/3rd into the fluid bed and brush-tap the top.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 12/24/17 17:48 UTC »
This shrink tub stuff has to be easier than busting eyes out. Thanks for the idea. If looking for a multi size pack you might give this a try.
https://m.harborfreight.com/127-piece-heat-shrink-tubing-set-67524.html
I have 2 of these boxes now. Works great when making up anchor lines or with paracord in the kayak so the ends don’t fray.