Author Topic: Spinnerbait wire forms?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline MT204

• Kicker
Spinnerbait wire forms?
« on: 07/07/17 16:47 UTC »
Ok wise guys. ;D
Gonna start doing a few spinnerbaits.
That being said there are R-style, twisted eye-style or coil eye-style wire forms.
The coil eye forms are a bit harder to come by.
Lots of great debates out there, seems that the coil eye version is the best of both worlds in my mind but?
What's your input?
I'll be using them mainly for Pike but some Bass many be Perch if their willing.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
Re: Spinnerbait wire forms?
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/17 19:53 UTC »
I like the R Bend. Reason being, if you get your line wrapped around the twisted or coil wire forms and hook a big fish, that fish can put enough pressure on your line to cut it where it's wrapped around the wire form. JMO.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 07/08/17 01:34 UTC »
I like the twisted eye on a spinner bait for pike and musky and bass because most of the time your using a leader of some kind weather florocarbon in 20 too 100 lb. test or a solid wire or titanium. On a few R bend ones I've had fish straighten the wire so I don't use them any more. Go to the gallery and look at my ultra minnow spinner bait. I do have a wire form I make in combination with a under spin jig that I'll have in the gallery tomorrow.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/08/17 07:18 UTC »
  For pike I like the twisted eye on spinner baits. Because like Walleye said I'm normally using a leader and it won't slide up and down the shaft. You can take a split ring and slide it over the r bend and then use your leader and it will hold it in place. For bass fishing I like the r bend better because it gives it more vibration. I tie on the line so it won't slip up and down the shaft. Plus I buy piano wire forms to give me even more vibration. Piano wire will break more often but I think it gives me that extra bite at the end of the day.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/08/17 14:56 UTC »
I'm an "R" bend guy, and I'm one angler out of many that has lost a big fish due to my line getting caught around a closed loop. The coil loop is what they use for jig spinners like those on the old Beetle Spin, the reason you don't see many of those is because they are vibration killers. The coil loop is great for durability but that doubling of the wire makes it stiff so you'd have to use really thin wire to get any decent vibration out of it and then you'll end up with a bait that isn't all that durable and doesn't have the vibration of a heavier wire bait. If you are going to use a leader then a closed loop wire form will be better and it will also be more durable but if you aren't using a leader or snap the "R" bend is probably going to give you the best vibration with no risk of cutting your line but it is also the least durable.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/10/17 00:53 UTC »
R-bend... (for the reasons mentioned above)... I quit using twist bends years ago.