Author Topic: 1st pour  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Do Re Mi

• Minnow
1st pour
« on: 07/29/17 10:48 UTC »
Went pretty well, only made one pour on a 5" senko mold.  Came out pretty well, a 3 small bubbles  at the end of one worm, other than that very happy especially for a 1st pour.  Do have a couple of questions, will probably have lots more as a I do more.  Can I store the colors with the yorker caps on them?  When reheating plastic during a pour, if my 1/2 cup of plastic cools down below say 310, do I need to add heat stabilizer just to reheat up to 320 or so?

Thanks, appreciate all the help here

John

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: 1st pour
« Reply #1 on: 07/29/17 11:12 UTC »
Its way cleaner to just leave the Yorker caps in place but get in the habit of wiping the nozzle end off with some paper towel before replacing that little red cap.

As for the re-heat. If you are looking to get the working temp back up to say 330 degrees, you'll do ok without the stabilizer. Any warmer and you should add a few drops before heating. Re-heats are really sort of a guessing game. Some colorants are way heavier in the pigment department and the pigments can not play so nice when heating. If you see some evidence of yellowing in any color you're warming up just add the stabilizer the next time you make it so you're covered.

I have two paper towel roll dispensers at the work bench, one holding standard white paper toweling and the other with a roll of the blue heavy duty shop-type paper toweling. This plastic stuff can be mess challenging at times and having towels right there is a life saver sometimes.

Also....fill an ice cream bucket with water and snap the cover on it and keep it where it can be gotten to in a blink but still not in your way. If you happen to get hot plastic on you the water will be a blessing if you don't have to go get it and can make a world of difference between a burn and a serious burn....speaking from experience here. 
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Do Re Mi

• Minnow
Re: 1st pour
« Reply #2 on: 07/30/17 16:12 UTC »
Appreciate the tips, I have a deep garage sink about 5' away, I'm now keeping it filled with cold water when I pour, like the idea of the different types of paper towels.