Author Topic: Can't wait until it's time for these again.  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Can't wait until it's time for these again.
« on: 07/31/17 15:47 UTC »
Coming up with some new color ideas for walleye hair jigs.  I'm ready for some cooler water. Only a month or so to go.

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
Re: Can't wait until it's time for these again.
« Reply #1 on: 07/31/17 16:07 UTC »
What are those for? ;)

Good looking combo.  Hair season will be here before we know it.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/31/17 16:26 UTC »
That's a snazzy paint job. Nice looker. All you need is teeth hanging onto it.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 07/31/17 18:14 UTC »
You guys have luck with blue there? I have tried it from time to time but with no success. Great jig MJ
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/31/17 18:35 UTC »
Thanks guys. WW for me blue black and purple = walleyes most anywhere I fish during the colder clearer water months.  Even now blue does alright. If the water is dirty I'll switch to a bright color in the summer but almost never in spring fall and winter.  I also mostly fish rivers.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/01/17 10:02 UTC »
I never used plastic for walleyes until my mid-20s because I thought "natural" components had greater attraction... now I fish walleyes almost exclusively with plastics (except during a mayfly hatch).

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/01/17 12:12 UTC »
Efishnc plastic is definitely my preferred walleye fishing method.  On tough days a little finesse hair jig fishing works great for me. Either plain like this or with a small plastic  added. Like the back half of a watz it fork tail.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 08/01/17 16:25 UTC »
I'm not saying plastics are better, but rather that I largely have gotten away from bucktail after finally developing a confidence in plastics (because the convenience and variety of plastics is really hard to beat).  I still tie and use bucktail on occasion, and those times when bucktails are the preferred bait, you can bet I'm throwing one!

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 08/01/17 16:40 UTC »
I know for crappie falling water temps mean you better be fishing something blue! Also is your getteing married they say barrow something blue...

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 08/01/17 18:36 UTC »
Here on pool 5 I look for the water temp to drop to the 50 degree mark, the magic number for me, and its all bucktails then. As the water temps keep falling and hit the 40 degree mark the plastic will have taken over and will rule thru winter into spring until we see 36-38 degree water again, then hair will pick up again. Blades will turn on somewhere between the hair and plastic in the fall and will work thru the winter if the presentation gets slowed down.

I carry all three types of baits in assorted colors for the waldo/sauger fishing when we have cooler to cold water. A guy has to be prepared because fish can change the playing rules awful fast when we get in that cold water but as a rule the hair works better as the water is cooling and again when warming up, the plastic is the game when the water is the coldest. Blades sneak in there at odd times enough that I won't not have them along. One thing I will not have along is live bait. Gulp/powerbait goodies, yes. Live bait no.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 08/01/17 18:45 UTC »
Blue and white flies took some dandy walleyes on the river here this summer. I've had decent luck pulling blue and white ( Pearl ) crankbaits too. Ganders exclusive blue and white Flicker Shad has been a good one for me.

I'm with you Mike. I'm looking forward to fall fishing on the river. I may try to pull a fly behind a crankbait this fall.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 08/01/17 20:50 UTC »
I'm not saying plastics are better

I am  ;D.

I'll always try plastic first.  Gotta love the THUMP you get on a plastic!  In my opinion spring is the best time for hair but it has its place in the fall and winter too.

And I'm with ya Tom, can't stand using live bait anytime.

2XL I would think that fly behind a crank would work.  If a second rapala behind a rapala works the fly should also be hot.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #12 on: 08/02/17 06:05 UTC »
Can't wait to get back in the boot's again and log some serious time on the river. Might have to make some blue and white jigs. The eye's really like blue and white plastics so the hair jig should work.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN