Author Topic: Spinnerbait painting  (Read 3624 times)

Offline jones02

• Yearling
Spinnerbait painting
« on: 09/03/17 09:49 UTC »
How do you guys paint/powder coat your spinnerbait heads?

Offline MT204

• Kicker
Re: Spinnerbait painting
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/17 09:52 UTC »
Powder. Spray and/or dip.

Offline jones02

• Yearling
« Reply #2 on: 09/03/17 10:07 UTC »
I heat my spinners in a toaster oven and try'd to spray but it ends up cooling off to fast to finish spraying, and when I dip, the hooks get coated a ton aswell.
I do this way with my jigs but having a hard time with my spinners and buzzbaits

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 09/03/17 10:37 UTC »
I haven't painted a lot of spinner baits but I've painted a lot of jigs and some blades and spoons with powder paint.  No matter how you heat the part if your trying to do multiple colors on one body you will need to reheat between coats.  I use a heat gun and reheat as necessary for powder painting.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 09/03/17 11:50 UTC »
If I want detail or more than two colors, I use a airbrush, put eyes on and top coat. The jigs that I am using one or two colors with no eyes, I powder coat and bake.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 09/03/17 21:31 UTC »
You can use the tap on method to powder coat a Spinnerbait with good success. That said, I prefer to airbrush mine with water based Createx, install eyes, then topcat with a moisture cure urethane.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 09/04/17 06:58 UTC »
I use powder but I apply the powder with a hobby sand blaster. It is the same deal as most places sell now that they call the powder paint airbrush. It doesn't get you fine detail but you can get shading and fade effects once you get use to using it.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 09/09/17 16:03 UTC »
I spray paint and add detail with a brush. I then topcoat with expoy