Author Topic: Finally  (Read 3468 times)

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
Finally
« on: 10/28/17 15:17 UTC »
I finally got a chance to spend some time casting some plastic this morning. It was 32F, windy , with a little drizzle borderline flurries coming down when I met my friend down on the river. The bite was very slow and it took and hour and ahalf switching things up before I caught my first fish which took a blue and white bucktail fly. At least I broke the ice. 

And so it went with no fish to show the next hour or so. So I switched things up to a new color Swim Shad I poured up a couple weeks ago. That and a blue and white fly seemed to be the ticket .... Relatively speaking. LOL

I caught a 14.5" eye a whitebass then a 20.5" eye that smoked that Swim Shad. A little later I had about a 20" Tiger Musky come unbuttoned on me as I got it close to shore and a big Sheephead. LOL

My buddy tried one of those tails and caught a 16 sauger and a 15" eye and a giant Rock Bass. LOL

Anyhow, Even though the bite was slow and I didn't catch any monsters, I am super happy with the new color Swim Shad and it was great to catch up with a couple fishing buddies whom I haven't been able to fish with since late spring.

« Last Edit: 10/28/17 15:20 UTC by 2XL »

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Re: Finally
« Reply #1 on: 10/28/17 16:06 UTC »
Awesome day. I've been trying out your walleye fly business a little myself with decent success. Nothing beats that thump on the plastic though.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/28/17 16:11 UTC »
A cure for what ails ya'. Good job 2XL.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/28/17 16:18 UTC »
Lookin good.  I am going to try to get out and lasso some crappie tomorrow.  My plastics are piling up and I need to use some. LOL
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/28/17 16:38 UTC »
The fly bite is uncanny. There's nothing to them and the bites are easy to miss. Unlike the whack you get with plastic, just a little tic is all you'll get with a fly. I WISH I could fish tomorrow but I have a family gig I have to go to. I feel like I did when I was a little kid and was told I HAD to go to aunt Berthas or some such thing VS playing with my friends. I just don't pout and carry on these days as much as I did back then. Hahahaha

Fall fishing on the river is my absolute hands down favorite time to fish. A chance for big fish gets me going in a big way for sure but the sights , the sounds, the smells of fall just can't be beat in my book. I look forward to it every year and get totally bummed once the river ices up for the winter.  I'd be out there every day if I could pull it off.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 10/28/17 17:05 UTC »
Happy for you that ya got out. I'm half thinking about sneaking down to the big river myself next week should time allow. I have to get ready for deer hunting on Saturday too so fishing may have to take a back seat yet.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 10/28/17 17:26 UTC »
Very nice no matter the size of fish it was a nice day on the water
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 10/28/17 18:32 UTC »
How are you rigging the fly? I presume with a split shot on the line and letting it swing in the current?

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 10/28/17 19:44 UTC »
I fish them on a three way rig using a jig and plastic or bucktail jig as the dropper. The fly is tied onto a 3-4 foot 8to 12 pound test fluorocarbon leader. Plain Jane, no weight no nothin. I use a barrel swivel instead of a three way swivel and tie the dropper and the fly leader onto the same eye. You avoid more tangles going the barrel swivel route. It's amazing how effective these little flies are especially on bigger eyes.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 10/28/17 21:30 UTC »
I use a barrel swivel instead of a three way swivel and tie the dropper and the fly leader onto the same eye. You avoid more tangles going the barrel swivel route.

I started doing this myself about ten years back (but I tie the dropper and the mainline to the same eye) and I definitely agree with its superior function...  funny thing is now it seems I hardly ever use a streamer.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 10/28/17 22:19 UTC »
There are a few guys around here that only fish bucktail flies they tied themselves. They use home brewed  pencil weights for the dropper weight. The local bait shop sells thousands of them especially during the spring walleye run. Such a simple rig and they catch a pile of fish once you get the hang of fishing them.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 10/28/17 22:31 UTC »
I don't get the pencil weight instead of a jig. If you use a jig/plastic or bucktail jig it's another bait you can potentuly catch fish on. 

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #12 on: 10/28/17 22:59 UTC »
Awesome 2XL we ended up having to work the weekend. The eye’s are on the chew by me and can’t get over there.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 10/29/17 05:28 UTC »
Some guys will rig up 2 or 3 flies on their line Mike. Too many fancy knots to tie for this guy to do that. LOL I think the die hard fly guys just don't like using plastic or live bait. Either that or jigs and plastic are an expense they can't afford or don't want to spend money on. I like the variety pack myself = plastic and fly rig. Some days all they want is a fly while days like yesterday they liked both. You never know.

The two friends I was fishing with ended up with 5 and 4 keepers yesterday. One guy got 2 on flies and 3 on that purple/pink swim shad. The other got his 4 on flies. Would have been nice to stick around but I had to get home to plant my garlic and run a few errands. I wish I could go fishing this morning. Maybe later this afternoon I can slink down to the river for a while.

I always wondered what the bite was like up to Sac in the fall WW but I've never hauled my boat up there to find out.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 10/29/17 05:41 UTC »
Now I'm using flies on a lake, tied on a three way trolling, but not having good luck. I've tried tipping them with a half crawler, but only caught small fish. Most of the flies I tie up have some chaetruse on them, I noticed yours where purple. I'll tie some up in blue and purple for next year, but this might be a river method.