Author Topic: 6" Essential Paddletail  (Read 5261 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
6" Essential Paddletail
« on: 11/02/17 18:17 UTC »
I received my 6" Essential Series Paddletail mold today and that mold makes a HUGH piece of food!

Anybody figure out how to rig that thing?  I can't find a jig big enough.

Maybe exposed  flipping hook and a tugsten weight?

The Northern Pike are going to love that bait!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Re: 6" Essential Paddletail
« Reply #1 on: 11/02/17 21:14 UTC »
I had a hard enough time getting one big enough for the 5".  I don't have the 6" yet but am also curios how guys plan to rig them.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 11/02/17 23:29 UTC »
I have a 3/4 oz strike king under spin may be ok for the 5” but haven’t seen 6” in person so I couldn’t say.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/03/17 02:14 UTC »
Can always run a line through and rig with a treble hook on the belly just before the tail starts.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 11/03/17 13:54 UTC »

This is a 3/4 strike king under spin with a 3.5 I think a 4 or 5 would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: 6" Essential Paddletail Rig???
« Reply #5 on: 11/03/17 14:51 UTC »
Can always run a line through and rig with a treble hook on the belly just before the tail starts.

That's a good idea. I can find any jig head bigger than a 6/0 hook...and it probably needs a 7/0+
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 11/04/17 00:23 UTC »

That's a good idea. I can find any jig head bigger than a 6/0 hook...and it probably needs a 7/0+
How big you want?
I make jigs to 48oz.
Can make you jigs with hooks to 12/0 and bigger.
Have every size from 1/48oz on up.
Granted my focus is saltwater but they would likely work in fresh water.
Might be willing to trade soft plastics for jigs.
Pm if interested.

« Last Edit: 11/04/17 00:25 UTC by Kasilofchrisn »

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/05/17 21:53 UTC »
This lure now sits as my favored muskie plastic rigged on what I call my B.S. lure, which stand for Beetle (spin) Swim(bait).  My favored way to rig  these extra big plastics is with a a 6/0 spinner hook attached to the jig hook; basically just heat the eye to open it enough to fit over the jig barb and the neck about 3/4 inch below to turn it up about 30 degrees.  Rig the jig as normal, then insert the 6/0 hook behind it and crimp it on.  Both hooks ride perfectly level and the bait swims naturally... this is a great lure for clear water and tough bites.

As far as the spinner portion (I shared this at the get together), make sure you crimp the connecting arm so it won't pop open when battling your beast.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/06/17 11:54 UTC »
I was unable to attend the get-together.  Do you have a picture that you could post? Sounds like what I'm looking for....I just am a little slow.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 11/07/17 23:17 UTC »
Basically this is what you are making to fit inside of the bait.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 11/07/17 23:34 UTC »
Start by making the hook as described above;

insert your jig as normal and lay the modified hook on top of your plastic to see where it should lie within the bait;

when you thread the hook through, it is crucial to thread the hook exactly inside where it lies to prevent distortion (even though it may not seem right as you are doing it);

smooth out the plastic and put the eye of the trailer hook to the shank of the main hook (and crimp it closed).

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 11/08/17 05:32 UTC »
Nice efishnc that's a great idea.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 11/08/17 07:25 UTC »
Thank you very much. That helps a lot!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 11/08/17 10:15 UTC »
Nice efishnc that's a great idea.

Thanks Mike...

Believe it or not, I actually started doing this for winter walleyes about 20 years ago to help ensure hook-ups when using big plastics... it was about five years later that this trailer method became an obvious no-brainer for musky plastics, and now is one of my main big teeth catchers.
« Last Edit: 11/08/17 10:18 UTC by efishnc »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 11/08/17 13:08 UTC »
Instead of running fishing line through the bait with a treble like the bass guys do...I'm going to run a straight musky wire (like they use in straight shaft spinnerbaits .052) through with a rivet on both ends, then a split ring with a belly treble. Hope it runs correctly!