Author Topic: Looking to get started, Have questions  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Jimble Kimble

• Minnow
Looking to get started, Have questions
« on: 11/18/17 19:59 UTC »
I decided to take the plunge into making soft plastics specifically senkos and eventually beaver style baits. This is for personnel use only and I have no plans to sell any baits. I hope one day to get as close to the OG senkos as possible.  I am currently shopping for the items I will need and have a few questions. Below is the list of items I believe I need and where I think I will be purchasing. I am open to any and all advice. As far as safety equipment I already have the proper equipment. I apologize in advanced for the long post.

Barlows
-Mold
-Medium Injector
-Flakes
-Color Dye
-Salt
-Oil
-Scents

Do-It
-Lami Plate

Baitjunky
-Plastisol (BJ)
-Softener (BJ)
-Stabilizer (BJ)

I have seen the 5" Yamamoto (4Cav) Do-It mold on several websites ranging from $28.95-$98.99. Why is there such a huge difference in price for the same mold? Barlows has it for $28.95 and Do-it has it listed at $98.00. Are these the same mold?

https://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Essentials-Senko-Molds-P3688.aspx

http://store.do-itmolds.com/The-Gary-Yamamoto-Senko-4-5-and-6-inch-4-Cav_p_177.html

From what I read most people recommend Plastisol from Baitjunkies as well as softener and stabilizer. I am assuming I should stick with the non-bleed colors for lami and colored tips? I am also assuming the the regular dye would be good for one color pours? During the research I did I never read or watched how the injector is cleaned out after a pour. I did see that there are o-rings and tips, should I purchase those as well?

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Looking to get started, Have questions
« Reply #1 on: 11/18/17 20:21 UTC »
Extra o ring are a good thing to have depending on the dual set up you have bass tackle has pin lock tips and some don’t
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/18/17 21:03 UTC »
Just a couple answers for you.

#1 just stay away from any bleeder colors unless you plan to keep that color 100% separate from all else. Even some dyes will bleed enough to color the plastic of a Plano box.
#2. The price descepency is that one is sand cast and one is cnc.  I have both. The cnc is a shiney smooth finish and the cnc is more textured and dull on the finished bait.  I know barlows only sells the same cast so I don't believe the lami plate wich is for the cnc mold will work with it.
Also you don't really have to clean the injector. If you get little bits of plastic stuck to the sides once in a while just put a little worm oil on a paper towel and run it through kind of like cleaning a gun. It comes right off.

Offline Jimble Kimble

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 11/18/17 21:09 UTC »
Is this the same then and will the lami plate fit with this? I'm new to all this so I really want to make sure I order the right stuff. I don't know the difference between the two so I'm unsure. http://store.do-itmolds.com/ES-Senko--Multiple-Sizes-Available_p_1151.html

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/18/17 21:22 UTC »
That is a sand cast and I'm almost positive the lami plate won't work for that.  The good news is you can use tin foil or buy some real thin aluminum sheets from hobby lobby to make a home made lami plate for them.  If you want the lami plate Do-it sells you are going to have to buy the $100 cnc mold.

Any molds that are Esentual Series are sand cast and I don't believe there are any "factory" lami plates for them.

Offline Jimble Kimble

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 11/18/17 21:31 UTC »
Mike is the CNC plate worth the extra money?

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/18/17 21:56 UTC »
It is nice. The big difference is that with the plate you only shoot the half you need. With the home made you shoot both halves they are just cut in half. With a senco that would be fine because both halves are basically the same.  The cnc vs sand cast I guess is personal preference. I like cnc better but a lot of especially bass guys really like the more dull textured finish of the sand cast.  One way or another the fish don't give a crap if the bait is smooth or textured.  My opinion with the senco is that being the original has so much salt it ends up not really being smooth and shiny anyway so you might as well get the sand cast and use HD wich will give you a more durable bait and save you some cash.

Offline Jimble Kimble

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 11/18/17 22:13 UTC »
HD?

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 11/18/17 22:29 UTC »
Just because I don't know what you know about sencos.  To make a bait sink at a certain rate like sencos do you need to either use salt HD sinking additive or glass beads.  You can make them with straight plastic but they will be lighter and not sink like a yamamato senco.  No problem really just use a weighted hook or a jig.  I don't acually fish for bass besides smallies on occasion so I'm not the best person to tell you how to use them just telling you what I do know about making r he baits themselves.

Offline Jimble Kimble

• Minnow
« Reply #10 on: 11/18/17 22:37 UTC »
I was aware of the heavy salt content but was not sure on the use of sinking agent. I guess that is something I will have to continue to research.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 11/19/17 07:53 UTC »
  Those are the two baits I make the most and like you I only make for myself. Personally from my experience I would change that list up a bit and buy my colors and plastic through Do-it. Their 2X colors are very strong and will last you forever. Their ES series plastic is second to none. Plus it is very forgiving when it come to over heating and burning. And yes you want their heat stabilizer. I've never bought softener and see no reason to. I would get the Do-it ES senko and the ES beaver and the injector from somewhere like Jann's or Barllows. I think the molds are $29.99 each from them. For the senkos I use glass media. 1 TBS to 4oz. plastic. If you fish it wacky with an O ring you'll fish the same senko all day.
  Now this is my opinion how I would start out if I started over again. Everyone here has bought stuff and wondered why later. It's part of having a hobby.
« Last Edit: 11/19/17 07:55 UTC by Lamar »

Offline Jimble Kimble

• Minnow
« Reply #12 on: 11/19/17 08:26 UTC »
  Those are the two baits I make the most and like you I only make for myself. Personally from my experience I would change that list up a bit and buy my colors and plastic through Do-it. Their 2X colors are very strong and will last you forever. Their ES series plastic is second to none. Plus it is very forgiving when it come to over heating and burning. And yes you want their heat stabilizer. I've never bought softener and see no reason to. I would get the Do-it ES senko and the ES beaver and the injector from somewhere like Jann's or Barllows. I think the molds are $29.99 each from them. For the senkos I use glass media. 1 TBS to 4oz. plastic. If you fish it wacky with an O ring you'll fish the same senko all day.
  Now this is my opinion how I would start out if I started over again. Everyone here has bought stuff and wondered why later. It's part of having a hobby.

Thank you for the tips. The media is a replacement for HD or in conjunction with HD and salt? I'm assuming the media is for sink rate? I did look into do-it colors after I posted the thread. It's weird how some sites don't offer certain colors so I'm sure I will be purchasing from several places. If i went the ES route on the Senko mold what would be your suggestion on a lami plate? Mike suggested a piece of thin aluminum. I would think I could do that but I'm not an expert by any means. I will eventually like to be able to make lami's as well.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 11/19/17 09:39 UTC »
JK  Once you gain a little experience shooting plastic you'll be able to make your own laminate plates. I have made then out of the thin metal sheets you can get from from Hobby Lobby , Ace Hardware etc. I have also made a couple using a soda can. The soda can plates worked OK but I prefer the thin sheet metal ones.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 11/19/17 12:00 UTC »
Thank you for the tips. The media is a replacement for HD or in conjunction with HD and salt? I'm assuming the media is for sink rate? I did look into do-it colors after I posted the thread. It's weird how some sites don't offer certain colors so I'm sure I will be purchasing from several places. If i went the ES route on the Senko mold what would be your suggestion on a lami plate? Mike suggested a piece of thin aluminum. I would think I could do that but I'm not an expert by any means. I will eventually like to be able to make lami's as well.

The media is for sink rate and you use it instead of HD or salt. I use old alum. pie plates to make my laminate. They are very easy to make. Make sure when buying colors they are non bleeding. And remember the 2X colors may only take a drop or two were as other companies will take 15 to 20 drops for the same color. So you get what you pay for here.