Author Topic: Complete noob, looking to get started.  (Read 3336 times)

Offline doctordingle

• Minnow
Complete noob, looking to get started.
« on: 11/17/17 11:58 UTC »
Not sure which direction I want to go, so I figure ill ask some more experienced people. Right now I am looking to make senkos and smaller 3 inch trout and drop shot worms. Just looking for which starter kit I should go, or I just buy them separately. Additionally looking into the best way to mold worms when there doesn't seem to be a pre existing mold for the size and shape I want.

Any help on getting started with these would be a big help.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Complete noob, looking to get started.
« Reply #1 on: 11/17/17 12:29 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums DD.

The Do-It essential series mold for the senko is had to beat doe bait quality and price. The trout worm and drop shot baits are likely going to have to go the route of the cnc molds. Check to see what's available in the on-line catalog for a starter kit using the essential senko mold and then adding the other two. The starter kits get a foot way inside the door and are always a great way to start.

Plaster of paris and rtv molding plastic are good ways to conjure up your own molds using existing baits as forms. Snoop around in the different boards here and you'll find info on both ways to make your own molds.

Again, welcome aboard!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline doctordingle

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 11/17/17 15:54 UTC »
Would you recommend PoP or Rtv? I will just be doing open pours I imagine till I get the hang of things.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/17/17 16:22 UTC »
I say go with the POP to get started. The RTV kits are 45-50 bucks for a small one and the plaster will let you get some inexpensive experience with building the form boxes and making the molds and not spend a day's wages o RTV. Let the plastic dry very well, then mix up some Elmer's glue and water and paint the cavity to seal the plastic. You may need to do a couple coats. Be sure to allow the sealer to dry hard too. I'd wait at least a week before trying to use the mold just to be certain there isn't a wet spot in the plaster you can't see. Plaster is very easy to work with.

Once you have a form or a box to be filled with plaster just set your bait, bottom side down, in the form with a spot or two of super glue on it to keep it stuck on the bottom and fill it up with plaster. Just be sure your plaster is wet enough to pour easily. Once filled,  gently shake the mold box side to side to help release any air bubbles....a couple minutes of this is enough. Then just let it set up and dry until its hard enough to pop the plastic billet out of the form. I'd set the plaster on top of a water heater and maybe a furnace so that residual heat will hasten the drying time. When its hard, carefully pop the bait you used as a model out of the plaster and seal it up.
« Last Edit: 11/17/17 16:29 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/17/17 17:51 UTC »
Welcome I’m not experienced enough to offer much help other than listen to the guys here they won’t steer you wrong. I have learned a lot from Andrew and some of these other guys. Do it has some good YouTube videos check those out as well.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #5 on: 11/18/17 00:49 UTC »
3” skinny carrot , 2.95 trout worm, might want to look at 3.75 zipper drop shot worm and the 3.5super fry, 3” glider are great drop shout bait’s don’t know if in kit form but I’m sure you will be able to find all that you need right here. Also welcome aboard.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/18/17 09:18 UTC »
WW just hit on one of my favorite baits.  The 3 inch skinny carrot.  I have developed a lot of confidence in that bait the last few months (especially when shot with a soft plastic)
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline doctordingle

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 11/18/17 14:24 UTC »
What type of baits would I use soft plastic vs hard?

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/18/17 15:39 UTC »
What type of baits would I use soft plastic vs hard?

Others with far more experience than I can probably do a better job of explaining this than I can but a lot of it will be trial and error on your part.  If a bait doesn't have the action that I want I may add softener until it behaves itself.  On the other hand I have a 2.8 fat impact swing (baitmold.com) that has a tail section so thin it tends to wash out as I reel it in.  I solved the problem by adding hardener to it to stiffen up a bit.  Hopefully others can chime in with specific baits that they add softener/hardener to to improve their performance.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline doctordingle

• Minnow
« Reply #9 on: 11/18/17 16:00 UTC »
Thank you guys, looking forward to starting the addiction.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 11/18/17 16:10 UTC »
Addiction is the correct word for where you may be heading doctordingle.  :)

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 11/18/17 17:08 UTC »
When I started I watched videos on Do-its site and YouTube. I didn't know about the forum till about 6 months into my plastic making.  It helps a lot to read over old posts.  If questions come up just ask. You will usually get a response fairly quick. 

I didn't buy a kit when I started because I wasn't really interested in any of the molds in the kit.  I just picked a mold and a few colors and started from there.  Of coarse you need a Pyrex cup, thermometer, gloves, an injector, worm oil and other things but you likely won't be buying it all at once.  I bet I buy something for bait making at least once a week. Like others said it's an addiction!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 11/18/17 20:13 UTC »
Welcome Doc...

They can treat your bait making blues here, but there's really no cure for the itch.