Author Topic: 1/32 Round Ball Barb Miss Fire!  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Re: 1/32 Round Ball Barb Miss Fire!
« Reply #30 on: 12/10/17 11:46 UTC »
I'm using the 10 lb Lee bottom pour.  The lead Im useing is mostly old water pipe lead i melted down and poured into ingots. It tends to work very well for jig pouring.

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
« Reply #31 on: 12/10/17 12:16 UTC »
I just fired up the pot and poured some of these just to see how they turned out and had no problem at all.  I didn't heat the hooks just put the mold on top of the pot while it was warming. I use drop out and soft lead.  This is the 1st 4 I poured with #6 matzuo hooks.  Probably doesn't help you much other than to know it is posible.

Look how Your hook eyes aren’t pushed to the top of the eye pocket. Unlike combat jigs who’s are, causing a pinch point. For what ever reason, either it be due to shifting or a bad batch of hooks, he’s getting a miss alignment that I believe is causing the incomplete cast.
« Last Edit: 12/10/17 12:20 UTC by Thembonez »

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #32 on: 12/10/17 13:43 UTC »
Probably right i just put them in a poured didn't really pay attention to where the hook eyes were. I've poured 10s of thousands of jigs and have always just dropped them in and poured. I guess maybe getting a new batch of hooks would be a good start.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #33 on: 12/11/17 10:12 UTC »
When I use a sickle style hook I now only use the Eagle Claw little nasty. Matzuo would always have bad ones to the point I just couldn't stand even getting them anymore and at one time I was getting 230 to 300 bad ones in a 1000 count box. Anyway, the wacky jig hooks sold by Do-it, the 785 is made by Matzuo and the one thing that isn't consistent is where the eye of the hook is, the same thing is happening to you, your picture shows it, the length of the hook eye leg varies so one hook is pushed too far forward while another is fine. That said, watch where the hook eye lands in the cavity and try some drop out, if you purchased your lead from BPS it should be soft lead so using drop out along with the hook placement should help with better pours. The last thing is when it comes to production style molds, try using just every other cavity rather than all of them, I know when I use all the cavities in that type of mold I'll get incomplete pours on some of them every couple of rounds, when I skip cavities I'll go 200 to 300 rounds with no bad ones.