Author Topic: Sitting here trying to talk myself out of this fly tying vice  (Read 11646 times)

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Yesterday at work we had our secret santa. I was gifted a jar of green flake. No clue what I’ll do with that and a $25 Bass Pro gift card. Spent my lunch break in bass pro wondering around looking for something I might like. I went to the fly shop picked up a $20 vice looked at it thought no you dont need to start tying flys you have enough going on. I put it back and wondered around really didn’t find anything other than a cheap Zebco rod and reel combo that I honestly don’t need. I don’t need anymore clothes other than maybe a couple of pairs of work jeans and I can buy that on my own plus the brands I like for that are not at BPS.  The little bit of camo. I MIGHT could use I can get good stuff at Academy for a lot less. No plastic molds or supplies at BPS and our Cabelas wich takes BPS gift cards doesn’t stock either and to do site to store you have to use a credit card so that’s out.  I left work at noon today since I work tomorrow I had half today off.  Went from kind of sick this morning to full blown sick as can be with nothing to do but sit on the couch and think about how to blow gift cards.

I am trying to tell my self that I don’t need it because of all the other things in life being a father or 4 with 55 hour a week job comes with. That and I have yet to be able to attend a fly tying class yet wich I think the hands on will help me since I am very much a hands on learner. Also I don’t really have the room for me to do this until we get in another, bigger house.

I’m saying I do need it because. I have had to give up doing some other things I enjoy because of my back arthritis they required me to bend and stoop and crawl under. I could do it because it I know Austin would love it because it’s a way to catch a fish and AJ shows some interest in it and it might be good for him since it’s a way to move his hands and mind he is truly ADHD not the kind we joke about at work. It’s something I can do inside even when it’s cold and dark outside  or in the garage and I can still make creative things working with colors. Also 6 months ago I didn’t know squat about plastic lures but between you guys and YouTube I have learned a lot far from an expert but I know a few things.

Can you guys kick me off the fence one way or the other

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-aa-vise-and-tool-kit

Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
I am far from being an expert on fly tying but I had that same vice. I used it to tie bucktail jigs and bucktail flies. It was good enough for those jobs. It finally gave out earlier this year.

Another thought with your gift card is that you could order plastic making stuff online and have it delivered for pick up to the cabelas near you.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
I wanted to do that but from what I saw when I tried to do that you have to pay for site to store stuff with a credit card. I couldn’t find a way to use a gift card wich I thought was pointless. I could be wrong and just over looked it and the girl I talked to when I called wasn’t much help on the subject.

I know you guys said before a fly tying vice is pretty much a fly tying vice I’m just not sure on pulling the trigger

Offline MT204

• Kicker
I got me one of these mid summer.
http://griffinenterprisesinc.com/modules/store/bigpic.cfm?image=/modules/store/product_images/1065/1297487/45835960_lrg.jpg&ProductID=1297487
Prob a bit over kill for the jigs I'm tying but then again I HATE junk.
Better yet this vise is made in Montana, the next town down the road from me.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
I was just like you about 10 years ago when I got into fly tying.  It too (just like anything else) can be a hole into which money is thrown.  I now have three vises (I had four but I gave one to a nephew) and I don't really use them all that much anymore.  One thing you might want to consider for future gift cards is that Cabelas does carry do it essential molds and plastisols etc.  Gtanted you will have to pay shipping charges but I often redeem mine for more fresh plastic.  Point being that the local store may not have much but you can still order it from their site.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
How do you redeem the gift cards online it wanted my credit card the whole way?

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Figured the gift card deal out i think we will see what happens

Turns out you can’t use the BPS card online but you can call customer service and place the order and they will ship to the store. Now to decide what I want
« Last Edit: 12/22/17 22:06 UTC by Paneltruck.lures »

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
I think tying would be an excellent thing to get into. Just like everything else in tackle crafting it's addictive though lol.  I started off tying bucktail  jigs with a cheap vise like that and it just grew and grew until a few years ago I bought this vise http://www.cabelas.com/product/Griffin-Montana-Mongoose-Vise/742830.uts?productVariantId=1590737&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=30024804&rid=20&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9_LRBRDZARIsAAcLXjdOTwhYcoYO_DDfonWVGrTR86aceF5Tn66nYU872cNfVPHnYxaImvUaAgQbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I absolutely love it and can tie anything with it. I tie everything from 1.5 oz bucktails down to #18 flies.
It's a ton of fun to ty different patterns and change them to suit your needs.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Getting into fly tying and jig tying is a great hobby and very habit forming. Just think of all the feathers , yarn, bead and hooks you can collect! You'll have the boys looking for bird feathers, cutting pieces of fur off dead animals you find along the road and "browering" thread and yarn from your wife's sewing kit! LOL  However if you want to spend your money wisely, I would get into a fly tying class first; to see what tools you like .

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
I have a portable base mounted non rotating one that’s has served me well for what I make. Ciasses are not a bad idea but there is thousands of hours of fly tying on YouTube witch is the way I learned. And a great tip to tying is less is more when making a fly that has a lot of material in it. I mainly do jig, pike, musky size bait’s but also stated doing small ones for is ice fishing.
« Last Edit: 01/01/18 11:36 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
  I have several fly tying vises and have used them very little to tie flies. I don't use bands for my skirts on jigs and spinnerbaits of anything else that takes a skirt. I think tying them on makes them hold better and makes them a better bait. So for me that vise is a must to have and one of my most used tools.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
I had to go through a circus of phone calls to Cabellas customer service to get my BPS card converted  to cabellas wound up ordering a quart of plastisol and 2 colors had to pay $3.23 out of pocket. The lady I got who finalized the order I told to ship to the store to cut out shipping she said since it was Christmas she would ship it to my house for free and it would get to me 4 days sooner that way as well.

I will take a tying class at some point but for now I think this made more sense.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
You are going to have a lot of fun tying your on and when you catch the first fish you will be tying the rest of your life. So much joy and very relaxing after the stuff you put up with at work.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Oh man if you only knew how true the “stuff I put with at work” is right now. I’m dealing with personal issues on Saturday 2 days before Christmas that I would never thought would arise at anytime of the year. I love our HR lady in Dallas but don’t like consulting with her on her day off at Christmas.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker

So this happened this afternoon I read a fair amount. I haven’t had much to do today with my back bothering me. Some of these look fairly easy and others flat out scare me. I had asked a fly fisherman I know some of the same things I asked you guys here and he had replied to me after you guys talked me out of the vice for now saying if I was curious about fly tying he had a vice he doesn’t use anymore I could borrow until I decided if it’s for me or not and wanted to buy a vice of my own. So thank you guys and him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk