Author Topic: Sitting here trying to talk myself out of this fly tying vice  (Read 11681 times)

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
It’s funny how things work out sometimes.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Isn’t it, WW
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Went to BPS tonight again for the fly tying class yet again for the second time in a month nobody showed up to teach it. I found out a camping store way across town from me has fly tying classes once a month. So I called them a very nice young lady told me every 4th Tuesday of the month but there might not be January class due to a scheduling conflict with the instructor so call back in a couple of weeks and see what plays out. Even if it is late February it will be okay. Just sucks it’s way across town but at least it’s way across OKC not way across L.A. I’ll have my hands on the vice Friday after work or Saturday morning.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Sounds like you may need to be self instructed like many of the rest of us. Trial and error. Errors usually work. Pick a pattern you are thinking about tying and there is probably a you-tube video about it. My Dad taught me how to tie 2 flies, a marabou streamer,(still my favorite) and a wooly bugger. Both really simple and very effective. Give it a whirl, you'll learn fast.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Also I still have the same vise I bought at Roaring River State Park 31 years ago.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
I have watched a couple of YouTube videos there is some things at the start of the process that I am worried about doing my self being green. I’d like to say I’m a horrible teacher even teaching myself but I think back to being 14 and my dad trying to teach me how to drive a manual transmission for weeks before he gave up and told me to figure it out myself. 5 minuets later I was going through the gears just fine down a dirt road so maybe I’m ok at teaching my self.

I have studied the marabous I got off you they don’t look too bad to do. Yours are fun to fish too BTW. BPS has a marabou pack in stock I could pick up. After waiting in the fly shop for an hour I know everything they have though. I  have a second book on hold for me at the local library I just haven’t had time to get it picked up.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Did you make the trip trout fishing yet?

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
I went opening weekend it was 67 degrees not great trout fishing weather nobody there was catching anything. Loaded up went to Texas the next weekend to see my mom and trout fish. Never got a hook wet the trip didn’t go as I had planned. This week has been cold so I am shooting for Saturday to trout fish here but there is a chance of freezing rain so that may keep me home. I don’t want to be on icy roads for a few fish.

I have entertained a few blue gills with the streamers though.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker

Just got this home today. I am researching tools, I don’t like what I have seen in local stores. I have been watching videos today. I’d like to go trout fishing tomorrow since it will be back in the 20’s tomorrow I might have some luck. Gotta get one last crack with my 2017 license anyway. Monday I’ll be back to to doing some reading between cooking, hockey and football games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Griffin makes my favorite bobbins. I like the ceramic lines ones the best.  I have a couple  rotating whip finishers from netcraft that i like and as far as a scissors i like to use a crocheting scissors I got at hobby lobby.  I made my own dubbing brush from a small screw driver from an eye glass repair kit and a peice of adhesive backed velcro. 

Offline Lines

• Lunker
That vise is identical to mine except mine has a pedestal instead of a clamp. It has served me well for many years. Good choice! Simple, adequate, should last you along time. I've been tempted to replace it a few times, but then think "why"?

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker

I have spent much of the day looking into tools and prices. Post Fly Box has a set I really like but they are out of stock. It looks like piecing tools together from Bass Pro is going to add up.

Griffin makes my favorite bobbins. I like the ceramic lines ones the best.  I have a couple  rotating whip finishers from netcraft that i like

I don’t know what intimidates me more the whip finish it’s self or the whip finish tool. I will check in to the Griffin bobbins. Seems like what what I have read most people use ceramic bobbins. Also wal mart scissors from the fabric department seems to be a consensus as the way to go from my reading today.

MT thank you for the link 3 bobbins for $10 is worth checking out. Thank you as well

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Paneltruck. Watch a video on how to use the whip finisher. It looks like a crazy tool but it's real easy once you do it a couple times.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Ceramic is the only way. They won't cut your thread like unlined bobbins sometimes do. I got a new RITE bobbin for christmas, but haven't tried it out yet. This is the shorty model.
« Last Edit: 12/30/17 21:29 UTC by Lines »