Author Topic: Chasing Pannies  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
Chasing Pannies
« on: 01/08/18 15:26 UTC »
At last year’s forum get together a few of us had the conversation over dinner about Garmin’s Panoptix technology and how it had the potential to change the game of today’s run and gun, ice trolling, hole hop way of ice fishing.  Yesterday I had the opportunity to use it for the first time on the hard water and it was pretty interesting to see and learn.

The best way to describe Panoptix is as a live ultrasound of the entire water column up to 80’ or more away.  From the top of the ice to the mud of the bottom - everything that swims.  Imagine seeing a school of perch 45’ away from where you stand and having your buddy walk 45 feet in the direction the fish are, drill a hole, drop a jig down and catch those fish.  All while you hang out at the original location watch his auger punch through the ice on your screen and then watch those fish race up to his bait react to it and see him fighting the fish.

Our best success came in the afternoon when the weather started warming up and the barometric pressure was dropping.  We went from -12 Saturday morning to almost 32 degrees by yesterday afternoon, which felt like a major heat wave. We found the fish relating to the old creek channels that run through the basin of the lake we were fishing.  We drilled a large grid of holes along the old creek channel and placed the Panoptix unit in a hole near the middle of our grid knowing the fish were in our general vicinity. From there, we spun the transducer until we’d mark a school of fish and we’d walk to the nearest hole to where we thought the school was located.  Many times the school’s were large enough when you’d walk to the hole and put your Marcum transducer in the hole you’d be right on top of them and catch 3-4 fish before you'd spook them or they’d swim away.  When the school would move you’d go to the Panoptix and spin it until you find the school again and repeat. 

The photo below shows two holes we had drilled one at 20’ and one at 38’ and the big school of crappies right below the hole at 20’.  Too many takeaways tyo mention but the learning curve on it is endless.  It made for a fun successful day on the ice.

« Last Edit: 01/08/18 19:16 UTC by Kyle »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Chasing Pannies
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/18 16:40 UTC »
I guess on open water you would use it the same way? First spot a school of crappie, motor over and vertical fish over them? Do you intend to buy one? Would it replace your present locator or would you be better off with both? Use your old locator to go to your spots and then use the Panoptix to see if there are any fish on the spot?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/08/18 16:55 UTC »
How many holes do you get with the electric?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/18 17:21 UTC »
How many holes do you get with the electric?

Yesterday I got around 50 holes per 5AH Lithium battery or around 400" of ice (Ice was 8").  I own 2 5AH's and a 9AH.

I guess on open water you would use it the same way? First spot a school of crappie, motor over and vertical fish over them? Do you intend to buy one? Would it replace your present locator or would you be better off with both? Use your old locator to go to your spots and then use the Panoptix to see if there are any fish on the spot?

I own this one and have had it since spring.  I bought it for ice fishing but utilized it all year open water and it was a game changer that way as well.  Yesterday was the first time I've really got to use it how I intended when I first bought it and it did not disappoint.  The unit I run it on the Garmin Echomap 93SV has everything that any other higher end locator/mapping system would have side imaging/down imaging/2D & contour mapping software etc.  I fished with it several times this summer on that same body of water and yes, you are correct Gary.  I like to get within range and pitch to them with jigs and plastics.  One could vertical jig as well but you'd be surprised how many fish you spook being above them especially crappies and I only say so with confidence because you can see them spook and swim away on Panoptix.  Jordan and I had a good afternoon after work this summer that I posted about on this post.  http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=10057.0 There is a shot with the Panoptix on this thread that shows what it looks like when you are within easy casting distance of a big school of fish.  The fish in that photo were loaded up on a sunken ice house and Jordan and I would ease up within 15' of them and make short flips to them with jigs.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 01/08/18 18:14 UTC »
Kyle how do you like your k Drill ?
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 01/08/18 18:26 UTC »
This is how I run my k-drill!
Quick lock to remove drill and 9amp hr batteries.
Milwaukee "mud mixer"
« Last Edit: 01/08/18 18:29 UTC by MT204 »

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/08/18 19:10 UTC »
Great report on the panoptics Kyle. I remember talking about this with you.  It's a sweet unit.  I'm starting to be a fan of the k drill Milwaukee fuel combo also.  It's just way lighter than any other power augers.

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/09/18 08:46 UTC »
Kyle how do you like your k Drill ?

Love it.  Lightweight, reliable, no gas, no oil.  One of the biggest advantages is the chipper blade and being able to re-open yesterday's or previously drilled holes that have re-frozen.  I'm a fan.

This is how I run my k-drill!
Quick lock to remove drill and 9amp hr batteries.
Milwaukee "mud mixer"

Nice!!

Great report on the panoptics Kyle. I remember talking about this with you.  It's a sweet unit.  I'm starting to be a fan of the k drill Milwaukee fuel combo also.  It's just way lighter than any other power augers.

K-Drill > One of the better pieces of ice equipment to hit the market in some time, no doubt!

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/09/18 18:21 UTC »
Does the K stand for Kyle-Drill?  :)

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/10/18 08:35 UTC »
Does the K stand for Kyle-Drill?  :)

I like it. I think we will go with that  ;)

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 01/10/18 08:49 UTC »
Its amazing that all those skives in the cement floor match up almost perfectly with the auger fluting on the drill in that top picture....Kyle?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 01/10/18 10:34 UTC »
Its amazing that all those skives in the cement floor match up almost perfectly with the auger fluting on the drill in that top picture....Kyle?
Assuming your talking about my picture, ya interesting.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 01/10/18 10:36 UTC »
That is your floor! So?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they