Author Topic: Jig Rack  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Boknows

• Minnow
Jig Rack
« on: 01/04/18 19:10 UTC »
Looking to make a DIY jig rack mounted on pegboard...please post...I need ideas...Thanks

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Jig Rack
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/18 01:10 UTC »
Are you looking for some place to stock pile jigs or what are you looking for.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/18 08:02 UTC »
Not sure quite what you're referring to, but pegboard is simple. Screw a couple 1X2 space boards to the wall cut either to the height or width that you want the pegboard, then screw the pegboard to the space boards. Hang hooks and have at it.

Here's a rack I made 30 years ago for jig painting and for a holding area while working with the jigs and still use it. It uses both 1/4" and 5/16" threaded rod and the rod spans are 14". The 1/4" rods are on the outside and 3 1/2" off the board. The 5/16" rods are 4 1/2" off the board. The different rod sizes allow smaller hooks [to size 10] to stay in place on the smaller rods while hooks to 8/0 stay put on the larger rod without sliding or jumping around. Depending on jig/hook sizes I can get up to 300 jigs hung to dry or while waiting for  painting. If I am tying hair or feathers the rack also works great for letting head cement to set hard. Its compact and has a place when not in use but I seldom have it there as I am always tinkering with jigs or paint it seems. Maybe $10 dollars in this and its handier than heck.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Boknows

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/18 18:22 UTC »
Thx for the replies....I think I may have figured out what I want to do...I'm gonna build it once this bitter cold is gone and I can work in the garage without losing a digit!  I'll post what I was talking about...

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/18 19:42 UTC »

They are not too cheap, but I like using them, the magnetic tool holder bars, they sell on ebey. They are as handy, as the pocket on a shirt. I have several in different lenghts, I screwed several around the work bench, where I work on making the jigs and painting. And I just use some to hang baits on, for storage, or to keep together till I get around to finishing them. You have to make sure that you get the strong ones, most advertisers will list how much weight they will hold. Only time, these won't work, is if you make jigs with stainless hooks, which in my case don't happen.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/18 19:53 UTC »
I hang my jigs from bead chain used for ceiling  light pulls.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/06/18 21:21 UTC »
I hang my jigs from bead chain used for ceiling  light pulls.

Perfect spacing every time with no sliding... now that's a great idea!

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 01/07/18 20:36 UTC »

Another good thing to hang baits by, is a piece  of allthread. The threads keep the baits separated, and you can make it as long as you want.

Offline Bucho

• Keeper
« Reply #8 on: 01/12/18 13:01 UTC »
A nice person who is good with metal made these for me. The smaller ones are cut from profile strips from the hardware store. They fit more than 120 medium sized jig heads in a pizza oven which means you can cure them three times faster than you paint them.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/12/18 15:58 UTC »
A nice person who is good with metal made these for me. The smaller ones are cut from profile strips from the hardware store. They fit more than 120 medium sized jig heads in a pizza oven which means you can cure them three times faster than you paint them.

Nice. But I will say I don't like hanging my jigs upside down. If you get a little to much powder paint on them you get a cone head. Where as the ones from TJ's that stands them up right you don't.

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 01/12/18 16:56 UTC »
Nothing worse than "cone head".
I too like TJs, just wish I had more sometimes.

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
« Reply #11 on: 01/14/18 03:52 UTC »
Being located in Norway i have to try to make things if possible because of shippment cost.
The Tj's racks looked good so i did copy them sort of.
The idea came from either here or Tackleunderground.
The silicon is what i call "baking mat", just fold it double and stuff it in there.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 01/14/18 07:35 UTC »
Being located in Norway i have to try to make things if possible because of shippment cost.
The Tj's racks looked good so i did copy them sort of.
The idea came from either here or Tackleunderground.
The silicon is what i call "baking mat", just fold it double and stuff it in there.

Nothing wrong with that

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
« Reply #13 on: 01/14/18 10:28 UTC »
With wath Lamar?
Do it you're self or being an Norwegian.... :P

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 01/14/18 14:15 UTC »
With wath Lamar?
Do it you're self or being an Norwegian.... :P
LOL...Mada has a sense of humor..Norwegian or not!