Author Topic: First flys  (Read 8550 times)

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: First flys
« Reply #15 on: 01/06/18 21:20 UTC »
That is inspiring. Enthusiasm creates some great products. Give yourselves a hand. Good Work.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 01/06/18 21:22 UTC »
One little trick that will help your dubbing.  Wet your fingers slightly before adding dubbing to your thread add a very small amount of dubbing and twist in one direction only then wind on the hook shank adding more dubbing as you go you can wrap multiple wraps in the same spot as you near the head where the body of an insect naturally widens.  When you are done if the fly is wrapped to tight or appears to small at the head simply pick it out with your bodkin.  Hope that makes sense to you.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 01/06/18 23:41 UTC »
Yes,  olsarge I believe that clicks now to see if I remember when I sit down with the dubbing again. What are your thoughts on the dubbing brush I see people on YouTube using?

It’s also nice to be able to make something to attract fish in the house.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 01/07/18 09:38 UTC »
Dubbing brushes are fine but not really necessary.  I have used them and liked them but I found myself doing it a little differently when I felt like I needed one.  I would spin the first layer of dubbing on the thread tightly as I mentioned then add more dubbing just so it hangs off of the already spun on dubbing (very sparse) so it appears like a dubbing brush.  There are a lot of techniques (like splitting the thread etc, but these are fairly advanced and you will pick up on them as you advance.  I found it a whole lot easier for me when I first started to pick out a series of say four flies that I thought I would use the most and tie them repetitively until I was satisfied that I tied them properly.  This way I learned as I tied and I didn't have to buy any special tools or materials until I was ready for them.  Foam flies, my god I used the crap out of those things (still do).  Easy and fun to tie and the bluegill and bass will make you giggle everytime they hit
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 01/07/18 09:54 UTC »
  Easy and fun to tie and the bluegill and bass will make you giggle everytime they hit

That is very true olsagre :D!

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 01/07/18 11:47 UTC »
I was planning on avoiding the foam for a very long time but now that you say blue gills. Yeah I’m on it now.

I was seriously going to get some bright materials to tie up for the gills. They love anything chartreuse I put in front of them. I have given thought to some bright colored zebra midges. Easy pattern for me to hone my skills on it also looks cool to me. Thought I’d try some bright ones for experimentation on the little guys.

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
« Reply #21 on: 01/07/18 16:59 UTC »
PTL, If you want to make foam poppers for bass or bluegills take a look at this;

http://www.sleazysteves.com/products/brass-cutters/

I knew Steve before he passed. He was a brilliant fly tyer and a great guy in general. His cutter and his foam are still the best available anywhere and will allow you to make much better poppers than you can buy anywhere. He special ordered his foam from Korea I believe and it is far superior to anything else I've found.
His wife still manages the products.
 He and his products were featured in fly Tyer magazine a few years back. I just finished up some poppers using these products. I'll post some pics on another thread.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 01/07/18 18:26 UTC »
Thank you for the link those are come cool products. I’ll check into those more when I get to that level of tying but how can you not want to do business with a place called sleazy Steve’s soggy bottom fly shop? I have spent today watching videos on crappie jigs. I may give those a shot in the near future.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 01/11/18 22:12 UTC »
My daughter who just turned 8 tied this up this evening. Austin guided her and did the whip finish but other than that it was all her. This is the 3rd one she has ever tied. I’m impressed with what she did, she is doing better than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 01/12/18 05:36 UTC »
Wait until they catch some fish on their flies. You guys will be fighting over who gets to use the vise  next! It's fun to tie up trout flies and bluegill and crappie will also hit them.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #25 on: 01/12/18 08:39 UTC »
This is what its about really. Look at the intense focus. Hook him on stuff like this and you'll never have to worry about him hooked on other less desirable stuff.

Now about throwing what you might think is a bad tie......Years ago I tied up a 1/4 ounce bucktail using bright red and bright green deer hair. Talk about ugly. I somehow managed to stick it in the boat box and it went to the Mississippi one winter day. We sat in the boat for several hours that trip and caught many nice sauger and some so-so walleyes when my buddy asked if he could tie that ugly thing on and I told him to have at it. Within two minutes of dropping that thing  over the side of the boat he was firmly hooked up on what turned out to be very decent walleye of 29". After measuring and admiring a while the fish went back in the river and went about our fishing some more. He never got another fish on that ugly jig but had he not tied it on in the first place I am convinced that he would not have caught that fish. I think God was teaching me a lesson. lol

Keep those kids anchored to that vise in the winter! I started my tackle making adventure in life at around 12 years old tying flies. They looked like the wreck of the Hesperus but they caught fish and made me do nothing but want to get better at it. That was 55 years ago.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast