Author Topic: New twist to an already great jg  (Read 2115 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
New twist to an already great jg
« on: 02/16/18 16:09 UTC »
This has been roaming around in the gray matter for some time so I finally got the mold and sat down to play. This was done using the multi sized Ultra Head mold's smallest cavity, the 1/8.

First I mixed up some High Temp JB Weld and filled in the collar area of the two sides. Once hardened and finished flat I laid a Do-It #2 Wacky hook in the mold where I wanted it to ride and closed the mold hand tight and gave each side a couple raps with a hammer to mark the hook location. I cut the new hook eye cavity and shank area using a Dremel on both sides of the mold. Next I laid a wire keeper in place and did the hammer routine again.

Here's the finished product.

I have several molds converted to use this wacky hook but they're all smaller heads using the #6 hook. I wanted a slightly larger hook for when I work rock rip-rap from the boat for walleyes and smallies. I'm pretty sure this one will fit the bill using a 2 1/2" Thump-It, my favorite rip-rap bait to this point. My next project will be with this same mold but using a wide gap, flat eye worm hook in lieu of the Wacky Hook in larger cavities.

The eye-forward Wacky hook makes just about any jig a super swimming type jig and I'm hoping this one will play nice when bounced down rip rap.

The mold casts very easy. The heads dress up nicely with air brush paint but lose some of the detail to powder coats.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline billygee

• Kicker
Re: New twist to an already great jg
« Reply #1 on: 02/16/18 17:32 UTC »
Wow!

Those really turned out Sharp!

what did they turn out weighing ?

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/18 17:34 UTC »
Looks nice Tom
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 02/16/18 18:04 UTC »
That will give it different action and a lot more bite.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/16/18 18:50 UTC »
Wow!

Those really turned out Sharp!

what did they turn out weighing ?

These are 1/8 in weight. In the larger cavities up to 5/6 I'll lose the hook using the #2 even. I'll probably mess with the 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 ouncers but will not make a lot in larger sizes as I really like to keep things as light as possible. Depending on how this 1/8 swims I may end up digging the JB out of the cavity and moving the eye more to the nose of the head. This head right now may not be real snag resistant even though I wanted a "keel like" head to bang down the rock piles. I think its ok, but I need some water with rip rap to tell for certain.

I found some flat eye hooks locally and hope to do the same mod to a couple larger cavities, maybe this weekend yet. I like 1/8 and 1/4 heads for the rip rap fishing but occasionally run up to 3/8 if the wind is bad. I use braid for rip rap fishing so I can stay in touch with the jigs and rocks, but wind can really make a heavier head necessary every now and again.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/17/18 09:37 UTC »
I walked down to the open water on the river behind us this morning and tossed this head with a 4" Ring-It on it and have decided to move the hook forward and down towards the nose. The worm wants to spin. I tried a 2.5" Thump-It and that works ok but I need a head that will fish the Ring-Its too. So....back to the drawing board.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they