Author Topic: Squid color pattern?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline powermargin

• Minnow
Squid color pattern?
« on: 02/26/18 15:36 UTC »
I'm looking to get into plastic bait pouring for the first time. I'm going to try the wutz-it forktail mold, as my favorite bait of all time is a super fluke. I fish saltwater in Southern California, and the bait of preference for many fish is the market squid we have in abundance. I'm doing pretty well with the pearl white super flukes, but would like to see if I can make a better match.

See below for what one looks like. My question is: how can I replicate the swirling, spotted red pattern on the squid body? I'm thinking of using crystal clear plastisol, with just a touch of pearl white and some 0.040 glitter. Should I use the pearl essential series colorant, or the pearl powder (whatever that is)? And how can I replicate that red swirling effect?

Thanks!

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
Re: Squid color pattern?
« Reply #1 on: 02/26/18 15:59 UTC »
If you are looking for a good pearl color use pearl powder.  And in my opinion whip up some pearl white and add in both .040 and .008 red glitter. That should give the look of the red specs on the squid you posted. 

But if you are truly looking to swirl you can get a duel injector and make a pearl white and a red.  Take off the support bar and plunge one color then the next to get the swirling effect you are looking for.  I have never done the duel injector method i just described but i know others on here have and they turn out great.  Im sure they will chime in.   

Member wishn4fishn posted these in the gallery and i believe he used the method i mentioned.

« Last Edit: 02/26/18 16:05 UTC by Slow Burn »

Offline Bucho

• Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 02/27/18 12:06 UTC »
Life, healthy squid usually blend into their environment. I would stay away from those pinks and reds associated with dead or near-dead specimen.

Not an expert on plastics but dual pearl, olve, blue, silver  and tanslucent tones sound goot to me.

I once tied a feather jig but could`t make commercial use of it because of the rare feathers it sports - only few matches in a saddle skin. It worked very well as a squid pattern although not pink at all.

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 02/27/18 12:48 UTC »
Another idea from the live squid posted would be just clear plastic with some UV powder and heavy on the micro glitters.  gold/copper, blue and purple is what pops out to me.

The beauty of making your own is playing around with all sorts of colors you normally wouldn't think about. I make a couple that are clear with heavy glitter. I know ctom has a pretty killer recipe or 2.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/27/18 13:34 UTC »
I think I'd shoot a tube minus the screw used to make the hollow cavity [make a solid body] and stick way over-sized eyes on the body just ahead of the tentacles. A twin injector could make a super natural looking squid using the gold/copper and blue/purple micro-glitters...maybe even a silver holo/blue micro glitter as a belly color. A clear dip would be needed but a smaller tube could be the start. Those big eyes are going to be the deal sealer on a squid like this. Rig it on a jig or weighted hook with the head of the jig at the end of the solid tube. I suppose a hollow body would work but I think the more rigid solid body would force more action out of the tentacles.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #5 on: 02/27/18 14:03 UTC »
I frequently peruse many-many pics of whatever live critter I want to imitate, looking for a recipe to pursue in said imitation.

A simple Squid...on the White side of live Squid...

BKJ's Easy Squid
16 ozs plastic
1 Drop X2 White (or 1 Pinch Glow Powder)
1 Pinch Bronze Hilite

There are many sub-species of Squid, but this Simple Squid color is of a common Squid that thrives in many regions.

A realistic Shrimp color also doubles as a killer Squid, whether on the White side or the Tan/Brown side of the Species' Color Spectrum/Range.
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #6 on: 02/27/18 18:09 UTC »
Cool stuff Slow Burn Nd Bucho
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline powermargin

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 02/27/18 20:27 UTC »
Thanks all, great thoughts!

Good point about simulating the live, not dead squid. I looked at a youtube video of squid underwater, and while there are some reds, there's also a translucent, glittery, pearlescent color shift thing going on. Read another post here that linked to glitterunique.com and saw some really interesting stuff. Might go with the micro-glitters as suggested, mix them up a bit, or also the hologram glitter. Cosmic Holo Micro Flakes looks really great!