Author Topic: Midwest Finesse Rig  (Read 10754 times)

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Midwest Finesse Rig
« Reply #15 on: 03/25/18 09:24 UTC »
Can't wait to get mine ordered it this week. Just wondering how some of you are going to get it to float so when you have it on the jig the back end stands up. I use do-its plastic and it sinks so the bait won't stand up.

Not sure what you're talking about. I use Do-its ES plastic and they float like a bobber.

Offline chubs

• Keeper
« Reply #16 on: 03/25/18 09:37 UTC »
I use the same and they sink.

Offline chubs

• Keeper
« Reply #17 on: 03/25/18 09:39 UTC »
Looks like the baits in the pic are hug up on the sides of the glass.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 03/25/18 11:35 UTC »
Looks like the baits in the pic are hug up on the sides of the glass.

LOL ! that is not the case. If you add salt or glass media it will sink. But just straight plastic it floats.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 03/25/18 12:17 UTC »
That or you injected some air in them. I think the latter. Didn't ya Lamar? Huh? Didn't ya?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #20 on: 03/25/18 12:23 UTC »
Lamar and I went fishing this morning, of course in Lamar's nice boat.
I can vouch for Lamar, those baits aren't on the glass, they are in fact floating.  I stirred them in that glass and they popped back up to the surface.
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 03/25/18 12:55 UTC »
That or you injected some air in them. I think the latter. Didn't ya Lamar? Huh? Didn't ya?
I know right ? I do believe the old Do-it plastic would sink. But not the new ES plastic. They float.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 03/25/18 13:23 UTC »
The crystal clear soft formula floats real nice as long as the jig weight isn't unreasonable. My Essential is more neutrally buoyant but a stand alone bait will support itself in water.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 03/25/18 16:30 UTC »
I don't fish this bait but I fish the jig and the jig stands plastics up fairly well.

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 03/26/18 20:54 UTC »

Offline CrawdadsFishingTackle

• Keeper
    • Crawdads Fishing Tackle
« Reply #25 on: 04/06/18 21:01 UTC »
I am on it!! Gonna Get me This mold ASAP!! This is what I have been waiting for.  I already sell 100's of the Midwest Finesse Jig and this will be great addition to my website!
Thanks for a Great Product!

Offline chubs

• Keeper
« Reply #26 on: 10/07/18 10:57 UTC »
Finally had a chance to make some finesse baits with a brand new batch of essential series plastic and guess what they sink. I also order some crystal clear soft and with that plastic they do float. I am really surprised that it is advertised that the bait will float on the web site with the essential series plastic.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 10/07/18 23:04 UTC »
Finally had a chance to make some finesse baits with a brand new batch of essential series plastic and guess what they sink. I also order some crystal clear soft and with that plastic they do float. I am really surprised that it is advertised that the bait will float on the web site with the essential series plastic.
Just curious but where did you see it advertised that this bait  floats with ES plastic?

Offline chubs

• Keeper
« Reply #28 on: 10/07/18 23:58 UTC »
It says it right in the description for the Midwest finesse rig plastic mold on the do- it website.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 10/08/18 08:39 UTC »
It says it right in the description for the Midwest finesse rig plastic mold on the do- it website.

I think where the confusion is coming from is Chubs is that you are taking "floating" to literally. The Essential series plastic if well mixed and no salt or other weighting media added to it is slightly better than neutrally buoyant. Lamar's picture clearly shows a bait ON the water. Now add the jig that the bait was designed to be used with, even the smallest, and that buoyancy is gone except at the weighted end which will settle in such a fashion that the remaining bait will stand up readily because it is still buoyant without any weight to hinder it. Other jigheads may not allow this to happen because they're not designed to work specifically with this plastic bait like the Midwest Finesse Heads are.

Consider too that glitter and hi lite/pearl additives weigh something and if lots are added to the plastic they can affect the ability to float and some colorants alone are pigment heavy, white and chartreuse come to mind quickly, and if those are added heavy enough to opaque the baits color they too can negate the ability to float.

Floating is a term that rides a fine line and we, as plastic makers, can do a lot to change whether or not the plastic can float or not.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they