Author Topic: Standard Fish Fry  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Standard Fish Fry
« on: 08/15/12 16:02 UTC »
I may be in the minority on this one, but I like my fish pan fried, preferably in a well seasoned cast iron skillet.  I normally use vegetable oil.  Here's my standard batter:

1 cup flower
1 cup corn meal
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cyan pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Coat fish in batter, no eggs or anything like that, and fry.

Jason

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Standard Fish Fry
« Reply #1 on: 08/15/12 16:20 UTC »
I do something similar, but I run the corn meal thru my food processor to reduce it to even a more flour-like consistancy, then add it with the other ingredients. I wash the fillets in milk and roll in the coating and fry up like you do.

Recently the better half and I have been broiling our crappies which are coated with a private blend of seasoning called "Oink Rub". The doctors have been leaning on both of us about how much grease we supposedly eat while enjoying fish and I found this recipe for broiled fish that sounded pretty good. I modified it to included this salt laden rub so we wouldn't be over-greasing our innards and it now is a favorite way to do the fish. Works great on walleye, salmon and lake trout too.

I like to cook and I like to eat. Something will eventually kill me so if its going to be food, so much the better....I'll die from something I enjoy. lol
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline RonDon

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 08/15/12 17:30 UTC »
I like pan fried as well especially if only cooking for a couple ppl.  I coat the fillets in spicy mustard before hitting the batter.  I use a lil more cayenne but i like to feel the heat!

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #3 on: 08/15/12 18:22 UTC »
I'm pretty close to 100 per cent C&R so I don't eat the fish I catch.  We usually have store bought (COSTCO) salmon at least once a week. Non-stick pan, olive oil, sprinkle the salmon with Traeger Fish Rub, fry a couple minutes on each side...until the middle of fish is warm (not cooked).  Put it on a plate next to some roasted veggies and fried spinach and watch out.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline floridagrimp

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 08/15/12 19:20 UTC »
watch that farm raised salmon (if u eat that kind), Denny...not suppose to good for you.
"Be sure to fillet and re-grease!"

"WATCH THE FOX, "fair and balanced" in a world filled with leftwing media types!
Obama's added 15 million to food stamp roles in 4 years (and growing).."If you pay folks to be poor then you'll have a lot of poor people"

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/16/18 20:53 UTC »
Okay I’m going to bump this 6 year old thread to see if anyone else has any other recipes for fry breading or batter they want to share? Look to try something other than same ol store bought. If not I’m going to give the one above a whirl
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/16/18 21:17 UTC »
1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon blackpepper
1 tablespoon regular salt
1 tablespoon celery salt

mix  ingredients and coat toweled off filets in large ziploc bag
or mixing bowl with lid for shaking.

2# hog lard heated to 330° in
deep cast iron skillet or electric deep fryer.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/17/18 05:29 UTC »
I don't eat fried foods because I'm a type 2 diabetic. I bake mine. My coating is 1/2 panko bread crumbs and 1/2 parmesan cheese mixed in a ziplock bag. Any that don't get eaten I will warm up the next day with a slice of American cheese on each one for a sandwich.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/17/18 07:56 UTC »
When I fry fish or chicken strips for the grand kids I buy Drake's. Try it. It's the best.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/17/18 08:55 UTC »
I don't eat fried foods because I'm a type 2 diabetic. I bake mine. My coating is 1/2 panko bread crumbs and 1/2 parmesan cheese mixed in a ziplock bag. Any that don't get eaten I will warm up the next day with a slice of American cheese on each one for a sandwich.

We have tried panko bread crumbs for frog legs..very good!

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/17/18 10:11 UTC »
I’ll give those a try including the baked wich not only sounds great the health benefits are there as well. If anybody needs to eat healthier it’s me. We are going to our favorite creek in town and try our luck. We have thrown everything back the last few years but I think today is selective harvest day. I’m hungry for fish.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
« Reply #11 on: 02/17/18 12:10 UTC »
Clean and dried fillets:
Dredge in original shore lunch
For my wet batter I use fry crisp w/beer
Mixed down to a pretty thin consistency
Dip, fry, and enjoy

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 02/18/18 20:28 UTC »
Season your fish with some quality sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, a little cayenne, garlic and onion powder and let it set up on your filets. After the spices have set up then dredge the fish in seasoned corn meal (I like a little all purpose flour too, just a little!).

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 03/20/18 14:43 UTC »
My standard for crappie and catfish:

Make a marinade by whisking 3 or so egg whites so they are a little thin and slightly runny (not thick like a marangue).  Add spices and slowly stir them into the marinade (I use seasoning salt garlic powder and a little cayenne pepper).  Add raw fillets to the marinade and set aside while you make your breading. 

Add equal parts flour and corn meal and add panko bread crumbs as well (I use less of the panko (I use less panko than the flour/corn meal but I haven't really measured it).  I add more spices to the breading and mix well.  Add fish fillets to your dredge and fry until nice and brown.  Drain on paper towels.  This is so good your divorced wife may want to move back in.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Bucho

• Keeper
« Reply #14 on: 03/20/18 16:08 UTC »
A little baking soda in the standard fry batter makes it more crispy!