Author Topic: Finally found one....  (Read 1045 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Finally found one....
« on: 04/03/18 14:56 UTC »
Years and years ago I bought a Thompson Center Renegade black powder rifle and hunted with it for several years. When In Line guns came into vogue I sold the Renegade and bought an in-line. There was something about that Renegade that made hunting a simple pleasure in spite of the fact that I never liked the trigger guard for the double triggers that was always getting hung up on sticks and briars while I was hunting. Soon after selling that gun Thompson Center came out with a true "hunting version of the same gun and I planned to by one of those that didn't have that ridiculous trigger guard and had a single trigger. Then just like that they stopped all production of side lock guns and trying to find one used was like finding hen's teeth.

Over the last ten years while vacationing and traveling on day jaunts and weekend camping forays I checked pawn shops and gun shops from Minnesota to Texas and from Minnesota all the way to California. Even while in Las Vegas and Laughlin I checked every shop I came to in Nevada, and Arizona. All I encountered was junk and more junk. I can not believe how poorly people care for these black powder treasures. Finally I had a guy contact me off a website that had a .54 caliber, single trigger, Renegade rifle for sale. He sent several pictures by email and this gun was exactly what I have been looking for all these years and we dickered back and forth a day or two and today the gun arrived here at home in the mail. Its absolutely a piece of art. The stock is American walnut. It has the single trigger and much more streamlined trigger guard. The buttplate is flat, not hooked like the original Renegades came with. The price, shipped no less, was $100.00 cheaper than any other gun I looked at and as it sits in this picture is in perfect, un-fired condition. To say I am a happy camper today is an understatement. I've waited almost 45 years to find this critter and final have done so.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Re: Finally found one....
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/18 19:18 UTC »
Awesome I love to see stories like this where someone hunts for something they once owned for years to be reunited with that prized possession. Stories with old firearms are even better.

Congratulations on the find
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/18 19:47 UTC »
Wow nice glad you found it thats pretty cool.  I am still trying to get my hands on another Rossi circuit judge .45 /.410  hopefully can get another sometime.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/18 21:02 UTC »
I've had it out of the case several times today and tonight. Its hard to explain the feeling of finally having one like this after so darned many years of futile searching. I have to say that after Carole and I made our trek to San Antonio this winter I was about ready to toss in the towel on ever finding one that was clean enough to own. The pawn shops around Branson were absolutely full of black powder guns....side locks, in-lines and some of the in-lines were once expensive guns [Whites and Knights]....but everything was full of rust and just downright abused. Then a couple weeks ago Carole and I went to Winona and spent the day and I hit a shop there that had a .50 just like the one shown here but the rust on that things made me sick to see and they wanted a whole hundred bucks more! The fella I got this gun from was great to work with and when he said "like new condition" he wasn't yanking a chain. Man I love this gun.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 04/03/18 23:24 UTC »
Glade that you were able to find and get the dream gun. It looks mint.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN