Author Topic: Which Spinnerbait hook  (Read 3871 times)

Offline S.Wells

• Minnow
Which Spinnerbait hook
« on: 04/10/18 15:33 UTC »
Trying to decide what Spinnerbait hooks to order. What are everyone’s favorites? Looking at the VMC 7250 black nickle and Mustad 32608N. Anyone willing to give me input on these two. Open to opinions on others also.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
Re: Which Spinnerbait hook
« Reply #2 on: 04/11/18 04:25 UTC »
I'm a big fan of the VMC 7250 BLN.  I've tried them all except the Trokar and I'll give you my take. The worst one I used was the Gamakatsu 550, I lost a lot of fish as it would really tear large holes in the fish's mouth. If you want to go cutting point hook go with the Owner 5320, it performed well but I wasn't a fan of the price and I did lose more fish than I did when using needle point hooks but it wasn't as bad as the Gamakatsu. The Mustad was a staple for me but the winner was the VMC, it is stout and the hook point stays sharp in rock which is important to me, and I don't lose many fish, when I do it is usually because they are short striking and I'm barley hooking the lip. A long explanation and I apologize but I'm a spinnerbait nut and I figure I'd give you my take on hooks, and before I forget the VMC is a 2X long shank like the Mustad 32608.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/11/18 07:14 UTC »
  I use a Hookerz Tackle trailer bait hook in a 3/0 and for pike spinnerbaits a 5/0. I get a good hook up on them and I like that they a just a little longer. Plus John the owner just lives down the street from me and I can just walk down and get them.

https://hookerztackle.com/collections/hooks-3/products/trailer-hooks

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/11/18 07:36 UTC »
I'll save you some steps bud....it says he's sold out of the hooks.  :D
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/11/18 11:30 UTC »
I have always used Mustad, but that was because they had a longer shank than the others I compared them to... (I have no experience with VMC)... and the longer shank will consistently get more fish without having to use a trailer.

BTW: Welcome to the forum, S.Wells... keep asking questions to really up your learning curve!

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/11/18 11:55 UTC »
I'll save you some steps bud....it says he's sold out of the hooks.  :D

I know. For some reason he is always selling out of those hooks. One would think he would order a few extras. But they work really well and when I can get them I buy extras.

Offline S.Wells

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 04/12/18 03:40 UTC »
Thanks for the replies. I’ve ordered some of the VMC hooks. I’ve used the Owners and they are great just looking for a cheaper alternative.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/12/18 06:45 UTC »
Welcome SWells. I've always been an Eagle Claw fan. I haven't tried the spinnerbait hooks, but I really like Trokar EWG worm hooks. Maybe something to look into for your project.