Here are a pair of 2 1/2" cranks, one with a short square bill the other with a diving bill.
Bit of a process to get things to come around but once its figured out its not that bad. In lieu of any template I used preserved moss as a pattern to break up the transparent black on the sides and across the top back. As a finish color I used a clear gloss thinned down pretty good and some blue/purple color shifting pigment and just did an interference coat across the back and upper sides. If one looks carefully you can see the blue coming out as a hi light, very similar to what spawning male crappies exhibit and just like male crappies in full spawning color this top coat shifts to a purple hue with a shift in angle to light.
Getting the moss thing dialed in was a trick. I finally cut some of the balls of moss in half and gave each side of each piece a shot of silver spray paint [it was what was handy] and then pressed the painted pieces between plastic sheet, top and bottom. I used a couple notebooks to weigh the top plastic down and when they paint was dry enough to handle the moss was moved and re-pressed on a clean area of the plastic. To use it I held the moss up tight to the sides of the baits and shot the transparent black right thru the moss and lifted the moss straight up and off. This gives an absolute random pattern. I got the moss at a JoAnn's Fabrics in the craft area and for $4.00 there's enough in there to out last me.
The bills are still taped in the picture. I brought them in for a second dunk of CS Seal Kote and had sun so I grabbed the picture while I had good light.