Author Topic: Gonna do it.....  (Read 2340 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Gonna do it.....
« on: 07/20/18 20:19 UTC »
Ma has been after me to build a shop in the garage where I can have heat in the winter and stay cool in the summer. So today we hit the lumber company for all the framing materials. This should keep me busy for a couple days. When I finish framing the electrical, insulation and venting will get done. I plan to hang plywood on the outside of the two walls in the garage proper just for durability, then the interior of the room will get sheetrock. Instead of framing the floor I am going to set the door an inch and a half high so I can lay a full 1" rubber floor on the inside of the room. I may need to wait a year to do the floor....spendy. But very comfortable. One wall is going to be closet the full 13 feet. My hunting and fishing clothes will go in half of that with room for hats and other sundry stuff and the other half will be done in shelves for molds and plastic making stuff. My current work bench will need to be split leaving the largest portion inside the new room.

I'm ordering a ventilation hood/fan that will get ducted right up thru the ceiling and between two rafters and exit thru a roof vent. Instead of going thru the hassles of using natural gas for a heater I am going with a lp tank and most likely a ceiling furnace. I may go with a wall mounted high efficiency furnace if I can find one for the right money. The ceiling mounts are everywhere pretty reasonable, but the wall mounted units are way less work to install and vent. I intend to keep a minimal amount of heat in the room when not in use while its cold outside.

So I'm getting excited about starting in on this project. Got a mess to move and shuffle around to get this started but this segment of the operation should move right along.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Gonna do it.....
« Reply #1 on: 07/20/18 22:22 UTC »
That we’ll be a game changer for you. A nice cozy comfortable spot to crank out your masterpiece’s. I have no idea how you schedule your time to get all you do done.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/21/18 07:33 UTC »
Keep us in touch as to how it goes. I've got a yard barn I need to finish. I insulated it, but never put heat into it. Not sure how big or what type heater I need.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/21/18 08:18 UTC »
My parent's just bought a new house on the lake to live at full time and it has a lot of wood work to be done around the property.  Went to the lumber yard to start pricing things out and "Wow!" is all I could say about how high the lumber prices are right now.  We built an entire boat house and new dock about 5 years ago and if we were to do so again that same amount of lumber would cost us nearly $14,000 more.  Look forward to seeing what you work up, Tom.  Like all things, I am sure it will be something to behold.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/21/18 10:10 UTC »
Congrats. Keep us posted and pics of your set up.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/21/18 22:54 UTC »
I’m excited for you and your project. Keep us updated on the progress

Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 07/22/18 16:54 UTC »
Looking forward to more on your project thats what I need to do someday.  I built me a 8" duct fan box  a few months back and that thing really removes all plastisol fumes nicely.  I just wish I had a setup like your building.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 08/22/18 20:39 UTC »
The framing is finished as is the sheathing on the two new walls. Two 6' H X 6' W X 24" deep super duty shelving units have been placed along a 12 foot wall for Carole's totes full of quilting fabric. Each unit has three shelves of which I have commandeered the two bottom ones for power tool storeage which makes for more room inside the new room. I had a consult with an electrician this evening regarding wiring needs and outlet/lighting placements. I can get by with one more 20A dedicated circuit for the air compressor/microwave. The electrician is stopping by tomorrow with some 15W LED bulbs to try in lieu of fluorescent lighting.

I'll start the wiring tomorrow and get the fan base set, then the ceiling insulation can begin covered with viscline vapor barrier, then the lid gets rock. The walls will move right along so hopefully by this time next month I'll be painting and hanging the door, then doing the finish trim. I'm going to use slot board over the rock above the two sections of work bench to facilitate shelving and hooks....very strong and neat looking product. On the outside of the room next to where the existing work bench was divided to get this done I will use pep board as a wall covering above the remaining work bench. I'll be moving my grinder to that existing bench so the work area inside the room is completely flat. Hopefully a bid for stainless sheet to cover the 2X6 bench top boards will be doable otherwise it'll be ab sanded plywood sealed and finished in urethane. I'm also checking out a 4X8 foot sheet of 3/8" cutting board acrylic as an option for the bench top. I can split a sheet of this lengthwise and cover both work stations areas if the price is right.

I have a mountain of tools and fishing equipment that I am selling at a "guy stuff sale" on Saturday. Clearing the way to work in the corner where the new room is I uncovered stuff I've forgotten about for twenty years....its amazing how much stuff there is. Then moving power tools to the new shelving I uncovered another lode of goodies. Sell it cheap to move it out. I'll have about 10 rod/reel combos I don't use any more out there as well as one of my black powder rifle/scope combo. Maybe make some jingle as well as seeing some of this stuff go to someone who'll use it. I can't believe I owned 23 hammers at one time. After digging thru all this stuff and sorting for sale, then sweeping up sawdust I was black. The shower water looked like I was scrubbing off tar for the first couple minutes. I didn't bother looking in the mirror on my way to the shower and probably its a good thing I didn't. When I got out Carole said my coon eyes were gone.

I might get some pictures after I get the lid rocked. Between garden, travel and this project I haven't had time to inject or paint or anything, but then I don't have anywhere to do it either. I hate the mess and working around things but in the end I'll have a nice recluse with stereo and a large closet with double doors for all my hunting and fishing clothes with full-width shelving above. Once I get things functioning again I can hopefully built some wall mounted rod racks with tackle storage.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #8 on: 08/24/18 09:36 UTC »
Sounds like your well on your way to having a awesome work space Tom. Can’t wait to see it when your done.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 09/02/18 14:59 UTC »
The heat recently is a killer. Work in the garage for 15 minutes and suffer from heat exhaustion. It really cuts into what a guy can get done. Carole was working in the garden picking beans and made a mis-step, lost her balance and fell. Broke a wrist. Tuesday we find out just what the prognosis will be but I am thinking surgery so that will cut even deeper into my free time.

I got her settled this morning and headed out to get some wiring done. Went well and I am finished with that aspect.  When I built the garage I wired the garage with its own master box and separate panel so I can shut the juice off in the garage and not affect the rest of the house. I needed to move one service to a new breaker to dedicate it for the two freezers. Then I duplexed a couple of light services to one and booted the breaker from 15 to 20 amp. I added one more 20 amp breaker for the shop room's lighting and the exhaust fan. I got it all done and everything functions like a million bucks so now its long sleeves and insulation. Maybe a couple half-days of insulating and then the rock goes on and the closet gets framed and rocked. Things are looking up.

I'll be adding another 6 foot long work bench that will miter together with the existing bench in one corner and I've opted for slot-board above all the work bench area. I have a short wall on the outside of the room next to the door that I'm hanging some peg board on to hang a few displaced tools.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #10 on: 09/02/18 18:44 UTC »
Tom sorry to hear that Carol broke her wrist. Also hope that if she has to have surgery that it goes well.   And I hope the weather cools so you can finish your shop in comfort. Can’t wait to see it when your done.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 09/02/18 19:00 UTC »
Yes, I agree with WalleyeWacker, best wishes for the Mrs.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 09/02/18 20:59 UTC »
Praying for Carole and your self. I hope she heals up fine without the need of surgery.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 09/03/18 06:35 UTC »
WOW, Sorry to hear about Carol. Hope she heals up fast. Back in the last week of June, I fell in the garden, hitting my back on the side of a rasied bed. Smashed a vertrabre in my back. Had a MRI the following week and am now going to see a spine doctor for back injections. The first week of July my wife, Julie, Fell off the back porch and broke her ankle in two spots and also broke the  tibula bone in her leg in two spots. The following week she had surgery on her leg. They waited one week and she had a second surgery on her ankle. She can't walk on t, so I've been playing nurse, wheeling her around to use the restroom etc. Last week she started physical thepary. Three times a week, so it's been a bad summer. She should be able to walk around thanksgiving. We got her a small cart to kneel her knee on so she can use it like a scooter to get around the room. So I haven't been doing any fishing or bait making. It's been a bad summer for us.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #14 on: 09/03/18 06:49 UTC »
Gary sorry to hear that you and Julie have had accidents that are serious hope you guy heal fast and issue free.