Author Topic: Bugmold  (Read 1470 times)

Offline mtnbrook

• Minnow
Bugmold
« on: 07/28/18 12:41 UTC »
Hi, first I wanted to thank everyone for the wealth of info on here. I am a rod builder and my son has taken an interest in soft plastics. So we are going to start together in the world of making our own baits to play with. I have been reading and probably going to purchase a starter kit from do it . The 200 dollar one with everything but molds.

Question, to start just going to try a couple stone molds ..anyone have pics of of their plastics from these stone molds, bugmold. Etc. I know they are not as detailed as cnc..but just to start for us. :D

Thanks again, some really great info on here from guys that have doing this a long time !
Chees

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Bugmold
« Reply #1 on: 07/28/18 16:31 UTC »
Welcome aboard mtnbrook. I haven't got any bug molds of stone so I can't help you there. I have a couple of paddletail baits that are panfish size I can get a picture up here tomorrow for you if you'd like.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 07/28/18 17:51 UTC »
Welcome mtnbrook what fish species do you fish for. I buy molds based on what I fish for. I have some stone molds I got used and they pour nice. Once you guys catch your first fish you’ll be hooked for life. Would also love to see your rod building masterpieces.
« Last Edit: 07/28/18 20:50 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline mtnbrook

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 07/28/18 21:38 UTC »
Thanks guys. Yes, that's what I am hoping for , Makin our own stuff and catching fish.
I am kind of extreme, I make our rods and custom fly rods and such for others as well. I also tie flies for a number of shops. My first love is fly fishing for trout , but also fishing for smallmouths.  I am fortunate to live in Central pa with vast waters to fish . We live along the susquehanna river north of harrisburg. Soooo, in the summer and fall we are hammering smallmouths and walleye....it's a blast. We use alot of tubes and swim baits.
Green pumpkin, variety mostly...but..this summer has been white pearl for some reason.

We just got hammered with rain , so the river needs a couple wks to tame down. I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone used these molds from the bugmold company. They are injection molds, but inexpensive to start . So my 12 yr old and I can stumble through this to start . Will get some aluminum molds, was thinking the ripper to try first..that looks like a good walleye rig come fall. But just trying a couple inexpensive molds to get our feet wet. Craws,and swim baits. ..

Any help and info appreciated, I am fortunate to have a couple kids who love to fish with me!
Cheers