Author Topic: homemade soft bait injector  (Read 5829 times)

Offline OIR

• Keeper
homemade soft bait injector
« on: 08/09/18 13:16 UTC »

as it looks overall.

the screw pushes the small tube down on the washer which pushes the silicone ring out to the side so it closes  tight in the pipe

silicone tip
nylon top (Lost the 2 O-rings when I took it apart)
Black Plastic Round Handle Ball Knob M10 Threaded 40mm Dia Machine Tools (ebay)
2 washers (The bottom is welded on the threaded rod)
homemade silicone ring
threaded rod + bolt
steel pipe (id 10 mm)
seamless pipe

https://imgur.com/a/eM9OQ2q
pictures 3-4-5

3: The two nylon parts to make the silicone tip
I put some tape around the block to the right and fill it with silicone and push the left part down in it.

4:To make the ring I fill it with silicone

5:table top bolt M10 so I can level the silicone.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: homemade soft bait injector
« Reply #1 on: 08/09/18 18:04 UTC »
There are injectors available for injecting the plastic that have been proven to be safe. With plastic being well over 300 degrees its not safe to , nor prudent, to jury-rig something to pressurize enough to force the plastic. All sorts of things can go wrong.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 08/09/18 18:58 UTC »
Im all in on make your own but for no more then an injector costs then just buy one. Safety always first. Not sure this meets that.
« Last Edit: 08/09/18 19:01 UTC by Lamar »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 08/09/18 19:22 UTC »
Many years ago I bought a mold. And some plastic and colorants. I made this super good looking injector. Worked like a charm with water, and cold, raw plastic. Carole took the van and drive up to the daughter's for the weekend so I figured I had a clear path to play. I used the kitchen microwave to cook the plastic. All went fine until I filled the injector and shot the mold. In a blink I was covered with 350 degree plastic. The refrigerator was purple. The cupboards were purple. The  stove and mw were purple and of course the floor vinyl was purple. My pants and t-shirt and shoes were purple. I cleaned everything up then took off the clothes only to find my hands and fingers, part of my face and the tops of my feet where the shoes hadn't covered were all covered with first, second and third degree burns. Home alone I had to call a friend to come over to give me a hand and I can assure you that it was not fun in the least. Dropping the pants to find skin sliding off the fronts of my thighs didn't quite cut it.

I followed all the rules except the injector. I can almost guarantee that in the end you're going to develop some issues of your own with this contraption....sorry but this is as nice as I can be regarding this. Personally I wish this post would be taken down before someone gets cooked like I did. They sell injectors that are proven to be adequate for the purpose intended. This thing is not.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 08/09/18 21:59 UTC »
Wow sorry to hear that ctom.  Yesssir most definitely makes sense to just purchase a injector rather than to try to cut corners.  Safety first and foremost man oh man yeah i couldn't imagine being burnt by this stuff.  Thank God  I've been pretty careful so far.  Are those glass imported injectors safe ?Im assuming no and ill only stay with the Do-It brand but see folks are selling them.  I wish the 4 oz would have had a locking mechanism so the nozzle doesn't come off but fortunately I keep a close eye on it.

Offline eyedo

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 08/09/18 22:04 UTC »
No.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/10/18 04:31 UTC »
With the exception of my Do-It twin injector all of my injectors have a twist lock pin/slot on the nozzle.

I'm all for making the hand pour molds from POP and rtv silicone. Even some of the clamp up and injectable molds will cut it. But short cuts on the injectors is fool-hardy. Once is enough for this old boy. Long pants. Long sleeves. Gloves. And a commercial injector.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 08/10/18 10:38 UTC »
I have the injector from Lurecraft (the nozzle is threaded on), while it might take a second longer each time to remove the leftover plastic from the injector, the security of having a solid connection between the nozzle and body is well worth it to me. My twin injector will likely come from basstackle, which has the pin (they were out of stock when I got my single and were for a while after too!) I don’t think I will ever buy one that doesn’t have some sort of mechanism to hold the nozzle in place.

Offline OIR

• Keeper
« Reply #8 on: 08/15/18 13:41 UTC »
well the pipe is a DIN2413 Seamless hydraulic pipe steel (1.5mm) and clean cut laser edge)
and the silicone tip and ring are made from RTV High Temperature Resistant Silicone Mould Making Rubber
http://kortlink.dk/umkr
(the tip got  bottom and sides about 1 cm thick)
the 2 o-rings on the nylon top are Varion o-rings
With the exception of my Do-It twin injector all of my injectors have a twist lock pin/slot on the nozzle.

I'm all for making the hand pour molds from POP and rtv silicone. Even some of the clamp up and injectable molds will cut it. But short cuts on the injectors is fool-hardy. Once is enough for this old boy. Long pants. Long sleeves. Gloves. And a commercial injector.
and glasses...the kitchen microwave to cook the plastic  :o
« Last Edit: 08/15/18 13:50 UTC by OIR »

Offline bryanmc57

• Keeper
« Reply #9 on: 08/16/18 07:41 UTC »
You will generally get rave reviews for ingenuity here, except when it could be a safety issue.  Not sure how long you've been working with plastisol, but there's a lot of experienced folks here telling you that you may want to reconsider using a home brew injector.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 08/16/18 15:20 UTC »
...the kitchen microwave to cook the plastic  :o

Ya....that was a one time affair too.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline CynthiaHernandez

• Minnow
« Reply #11 on: 03/22/19 07:08 UTC »
There are injectors available for infusing the plastic which have been tried to be reliable. With plastic being admirably greater than 300 degrees its no longer stable to , nor judicious, to jury-rig something to pressurize ample to power the plastic. All forms of issues can prove badly.

Offline OIR

• Keeper
« Reply #12 on: 03/23/19 15:44 UTC »
well most commercial injector are from china and use a cheap O-ring