Author Topic: Does plastisol expire or age?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline powermargin

• Minnow
Does plastisol expire or age?
« on: 08/20/18 09:48 UTC »
About to order a couple of pints of Crystal Clear plastisol, but for not that much more, I could get a gallon of it. However, it will take me years to work through an entire gallon.

Does plastisol age at all? It would be kept in a garage that sometimes gets up to 90 degrees in the summer (but does not get below 50). I understand it might settle out, but would old plastisol be more susceptible to yellowing, for example?

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Re: Does plastisol expire or age?
« Reply #1 on: 08/20/18 14:57 UTC »
I've had plastic sit around for a year or so (was hard formula I just didn't use) that settled out but always heated just fine minus some bubbling as long as I mixed it up well before heating.  I would say, if you don't plan on using it very often I would try and keep it in an indoor basement, closet or somewhere out of the way inside where there is less humidity than your garage. 

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
Re: Does plastisol expire or age?
« Reply #2 on: 08/21/18 10:40 UTC »
As Bassinfool mentioned, moisture is something to avoid when keeping plastisol for any extended period of time.   Storing your plastic in less humid environments should help accomplish this.  Long term, whether plastisol is stored in a plastic jug or bag, moisture will usually find its way into the plastic if stored in humid conditions.  In having a conversation with one of our plastisol chemists I learned that with more volatile substances they have even gone to storage in Stainless Steel containers to avoid moisture when necessary.