Author Topic: Good pearl white  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Rex

• Kicker
Good pearl white
« on: 09/23/18 19:50 UTC »
Really struggling trying to get a nice pearl white or even a flat white.

Color looks more grey vs what I’m wanting it to be almost Milk white.

Am I overheating it? Not enough drops? Idk.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Good pearl white
« Reply #1 on: 09/23/18 20:14 UTC »
I use MF pearl and it work for me.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Rex

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 09/23/18 20:29 UTC »
I use MF pearl and it work for me.

What is MF sorry for the dumb question.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 09/23/18 20:38 UTC »

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 09/23/18 21:50 UTC »
it could be your plastic as well as the recipe, i started with doit essentials and couldnt get a good white (and it yellowed easily, this was before i used heat stabilizer though), i switched to bait junkys plastisol and got a nice bright white after many reheats, and a good pearl as well.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #5 on: 09/23/18 22:02 UTC »
I have yet to have any issues with DO- IT ESSENTIAl after many reheats.

Offline Cami

• Keeper
  • https://www.pinterest.it/MrCami/camis-lures/
« Reply #6 on: 09/24/18 17:35 UTC »
Have you ever thought to use mica powder from artcraft stores? The edge of a tea spoon is enough for half cup and you will obtain a dense white pearl.
Bye

Cami

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 09/24/18 18:07 UTC »
My "white" is Mo Milk in Essential plastic and I have no issues with yellowing because:
1. I have a cheap low power microwave. I am very confident that high power microwaves cause most of the yellowing issues no matter what plastic you use.
2. My first heat is 1 minute long, stir with a digital thermometer. NOT an IR!
3. I then heat in 30 sec or less , stir and carefully heat to 350 on the initial run.
4. I reheat to 320, depending on the mold.
5. STIR  between heats to eliminate hot spots.

I used to have a more expensive high wattage microwave and no matter what plastic I used it would burn if I wasn't careful. Yes, some formulas have more heat stabilizer than others, but it is a trade off for other attributes.

Just wondering why folks that use the Rite Hete pots or other "stove top" heating methods don't complain about yellowing or micro bubbles? I think the problem is more with the microwave process than virtually any brand plastic issue.

That's my opinion from 10 years in this hobby.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Bass in the hood

• Kicker
    • Bass in the Hood
« Reply #8 on: 09/24/18 19:19 UTC »
only recently have I struggled with my pearl white powder I started out using LC pearl powder it worked great until recently maybe my powder has gotten old but my color comes out grey/silverish color. I have less of an issue when I add salt because the salt is white and affects the color usually adversely but in this case it helps because I'm looking for a flat or duller looking white with a touch of pearl.
The do-it pearl is great but very difficult to get the flatter color that I'm looking for. if I use just a little its to translucent especially on laminates and if I use more it looks great but too much pearl for what i want.
I was going to order more LC to see if possibly the one I have has gotten old (i'v had it for a few years). I noticed the LC has a liquid white pearl as well. I was going to order both to try out.
I do not having issue with yellowing I do use a inexpensive microwave and a pot for larger batches. I will only have yellowing issues if I over heat or after several re-heats.
Good luck on finding a pearl that works for you.
Kirk

Offline DobynsTriton

• Lunker
  • KLK Plastics
« Reply #9 on: 09/25/18 00:54 UTC »
My "white" is Mo Milk in Essential plastic and I have no issues with yellowing because:
1. I have a cheap low power microwave. I am very confident that high power microwaves cause most of the yellowing issues no matter what plastic you use.
2. My first heat is 1 minute long, stir with a digital thermometer. NOT an IR!
3. I then heat in 30 sec or less , stir and carefully heat to 350 on the initial run.
4. I reheat to 320, depending on the mold.
5. STIR  between heats to eliminate hot spots.

I used to have a more expensive high wattage microwave and no matter what plastic I used it would burn if I wasn't careful. Yes, some formulas have more heat stabilizer than others, but it is a trade off for other attributes.

Just wondering why folks that use the Rite Hete pots or other "stove top" heating methods don't complain about yellowing or micro bubbles? I think the problem is more with the microwave process than virtually any brand plastic issue.

That's my opinion from 10 years in this hobby.
a vac chamber kills virtually all the bubbles i noticed since i started using one. i maybe have a few after cooking compared to without it . its not a cure all but i notice a big difference. it works with anyones plastic and remelts as well
KLK

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 09/25/18 03:24 UTC »
I do have a higher powered microwave, but hey it was free so gotta use what I have! I always heat 30 secs, stir lightly, 30 secs, stir lightly, repeat u til 350. With ES plastic I never once got clear, bubble free plastic, and it really altered the color on reheats (again I wasn’t using heat stabilizer at the time), since I got bait junkies plastic, with the exact same heating process, I have had very few bubbles and it always cooks up crystal clear (it also smells less). My white stays bright white after  7 reheats (that’s as far as I have gone so far)

Maybe I had a bad batch of ES, maybe the heat stabilizer works that well, I’m not sure and likely won’t find out. I like bait junkies and if I can keep getting it I will for sure! Not saying ES is bad stuff,it just isn’t for me.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 09/25/18 08:18 UTC »
I do have a higher powered microwave, but hey it was free so gotta use what I have! I always heat 30 secs, stir lightly, 30 secs, stir lightly, repeat u til 350. With ES plastic I never once got clear, bubble free plastic, and it really altered the color on reheats (again I wasn’t using heat stabilizer at the time), since I got bait junkies plastic, with the exact same heating process, I have had very few bubbles and it always cooks up crystal clear (it also smells less). My white stays bright white after  7 reheats (that’s as far as I have gone so far)

Maybe I had a bad batch of ES, maybe the heat stabilizer works that well, I’m not sure and likely won’t find out. I like bait junkies and if I can keep getting it I will for sure! Not saying ES is bad stuff,it just isn’t for me.

I had trouble with the ES staying white as well using multiple microwaves with different power levels.  I've used pretty much every brand available and the ES was only in the middle of the pack for me.  I know others rave about it but it is the only do it product I've never been very impressed by.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 09/25/18 09:42 UTC »
When I had a high wattage microwave I always set it at 50% or I had all sorts of issues.

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 09/25/18 16:48 UTC »
  I will admit at first I used a different plastic and then I switched to Do-it and then Do-it ES. One thing I have learned over the years of making my own baits is every plastic and every mold no matter who makes it has a learning curve. In this hobby nothing ever seems to be the same. I've learned to find a good product and support team and then learn the product. That's why I'm Do-it on most things.

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #14 on: 09/26/18 05:10 UTC »
Have you ever thought to use mica powder from artcraft stores? The edge of a tea spoon is enough for half cup and you will obtain a dense white pearl.
Bye

Cami

I get some of my Mica from https://justpigments.com/collections

Interference Powders are Hilites.

Some of my Pearl Micas are very fine-grained...which is best for the Skin of numerous Critters.

Yup.
« Last Edit: 09/26/18 05:13 UTC by BareKnuckleJigs »
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸