Author Topic: The garden is winding down....  (Read 1352 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
The garden is winding down....
« on: 10/04/18 16:16 UTC »
I went out and snipped the rest of the buttercup squash off the vines today then ran the mower over the remaining vines and other stubble. I have carrots to pull next week and hot peppers to start drying and that'll be about it for this year.

I had one squash vine and it yielded 15 very nice squash, one of which is currently in the oven to go with the cheesy potatoes and venison ring bologna/sauerkraut. Eating healthy tonight.

While I hate to see the garden die off it has done us well this year. In addition to all the fresh cukes and tomatoes we enjoyed I got 10 quarts of spaghetti sauce canned and a dozen gallons of tomatoes froze. I have no idea how many bags of beans I froze this year. A lot of them. I bought my deer tags yesterday and that will start in less than a month. Lots to get done in the yard before then though so the garden coming to an end is an omen of sorts. This is my favorite time of year, hands down.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: The garden is winding down....
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/18 17:48 UTC »
Finished my garden off this week also. Dug the sweet potatoes. I grow them in tubs, got about fifteen pounds. Planted my garlic for next year. Finished stuffing my green peppers and pickeled four quarts of Hungarian wax. Might try to put a couple of northern pike in the freezer for baking this week.

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
Re: The garden is winding down....
« Reply #2 on: 10/04/18 18:21 UTC »
Wow that home made spaghetti sauce sounds pretty good.  I had several tomatoe plants this yesr but for some reason they didnt go as planned.  I think its where the nights kept dipling down  pretty chilly.  I did however have a pretty good year with them I ended up canning several jars I put back.