Author Topic: Most Successful/Consistent Panfish Lure?  (Read 1556 times)

Online Mike J

• Lunker
Re: Most Successful/Consistent Panfish Lure?
« Reply #15 on: 10/22/18 20:45 UTC »
Thought I would revisit this thread with a new idea.  I just received a new mold from jacobs baits.  It is the 1.38 inch bream bug.  This thing is killer looking and shoots like a dream..  The only problem I can see is trying to keep all of those legs straight.  I am going to experiment with some hardener and see if that helps.  I have shot it 3 times today and I am tickled pink with it.  It is going to be a serious bream killer.

I use the 2" a lot open water and the 3/4" is a great ice bait.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 10/30/18 11:14 UTC »
3 baits 1 mold.  As I said earlier I have been experimenting with the 1 3/8 inch bream bug.  The original bait I am sure will work wonders but I started to look for ways I could make a different looking bait out of it.  The bait itself has 10 legs plus 2 tails, so it is a busy looking bait.  I plucked off the 2 tail sections so that I am using the last two legs as a tail, it has a nice wide fork to it and resembles a mayfly nymph tail.  I also plucked off the 4th set of legs so now it has 6 legs and a forked tail.  Very nice looking bait.  My 3rd bait idea was to simply pluck of all of the legs.  I will be hooking it wacky style on a 1/32 or 1/64 oz jig heads as a mealworm maggot type bait.  This will be a fun spring
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 11/28/18 11:35 UTC »
CTOM.  I have been thinking about your reference to the little thump it grub.  I think that thing would be killer rigged on a slider head and drug thru a bedding area!  I am gonna try it for sure this spring.  Will post how well it works.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 11/28/18 12:07 UTC »
The Thump-It shines as you have suggested Sarge. Try nipping off the head end to shorten it a bit if you have sunfish around.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 11/30/18 09:07 UTC »
Something else a person can do to make a very good "bed" bait, as I call them, is to find a 6 inch piece of #10 stranded building wire. Cut the sheathing off and un-ravel the wire into single strands. Using just one, fold the wire in half tightly so you can insert the folded end into and thru the grub body. Once thru slip a single  or two, maybe three, strands of rubber skirt into the loop in the wire and pull it back thru leaving enough skirt strand to pulls some back to adjust the length equally between sides. The trim the strands to your liking. Now toss that "bug" you've created in those beds and see what happens.

The grub alone will drive a bedded fish bonkers when it gets even remotely close. The added legs will replicate a small crawfish or other bed robbing denizen and the fish will attack it with a vengeance.

I'll note here that I have done this on a limited basis. As a rule when fish start bedding I go find something else to catch, like bass. Crappies bed first followed by sunfish so I have a fairly wide period of time that I snoop out the bass with top-waters and frogs as I absolutely love the action on the top. Some of the largest pike of the summer will come while chucking plugs and frogs to the buckets and it is not at all unusual to find walleyes working areas of current in the backwaters by then and when you find one you'll find a mess of them.

Sunfish especially need some extra care while they're on beds. Its too easy to pull mature fish off eggs or away from the fry and I'd rather let these fish get their stuff done to help with the future. Way too many things in nature can raise heck with sunfish while they are bedding and I don't keep many of them for the table so this bass chasing just gives me fishing time while I let the sunfish get the job done.