Author Topic: Rapala gold fluorescent red  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
Rapala gold fluorescent red
« on: 02/11/19 17:56 UTC »
I love this color crank bait for smallmouth. Looking at the bait it appears more of a flo orange-red than red.  Working on getting close to it. I at least have a starting point.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Rapala gold fluorescent red
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/19 18:00 UTC »
That looks awful close. Nice work. If you look under the chin at the gill patch, you'll see that it is red....just for some on hand comparison. You're right there on this one.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/11/19 18:09 UTC »
Thanks. I started with some flo orange, a bit of white on the thermometer tip and 2 drops of red. Not sure which direction to go now. I’m thinking I should try flo red as a base and add orange. The gold was just clear loaded up with .008 flake and a heavy dose of gold hilite. Thinking I may omit the hilite and use 2 sizes of gold. Suggestions?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/11/19 18:59 UTC »
The gold I'd leave as is. That really pops.

Have you got any of the X2 Tomato? That's a great adjustment color and looking at what you have I think just a drip of tomato would round out the color on the back pretty darned nice. Tomato isn't orange and its not a red, red either. Used in small amounts it can pull a red or orange in ways to make either come together.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 02/11/19 19:53 UTC »
Thanks for the guidance. I don’t have any 2x but I do have another brand that I think will be close.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/11/19 19:55 UTC »
Mixin and matchin....that's the most fun in this for me. I'm a sucker for color.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/11/19 21:19 UTC »
Very nice. That makes me want to make some of that!

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #7 on: 02/12/19 04:00 UTC »
I like that color.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/12/19 06:45 UTC »
Great job. That made a nice laminate.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/12/19 09:04 UTC »
Rapala's colors have all been proven in the field. Most are real basic schemes to replicate on other baits styles so it make good sense to do as Rapala has done with color.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 02/12/19 19:01 UTC »
So, taking ctom’s advice I got up early before work to tinker with the back color. Was able to find some strawberry color in my inventory but no tomato color. I think it pulled the orange around pretty close to where I was wanting it. Thanks for the guidance.
On the right is where I started and the left is pretty close to the intended target.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/12/19 20:47 UTC »
The top looks like a perfect match now. Maybe a drop or 2 of yellow in the gold bottom. Just my opinion, looks very nice the way it is!

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 02/13/19 04:12 UTC »
After another early morning (3:00am) I have decided that I am as close to matching as I can possibly get to suit my liking. On left is .008 flake and right is .008/.40 flake which pops a little more in the light. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and guidance.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/13/19 06:09 UTC »
That looks fabulous. You can go to bed now. :) Good job!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 02/13/19 06:56 UTC »
Now try adding a little gold hi lite to the orange you settle on as a trial batch.....maybe just add some to a partial batch you might have after doing your trials. Not a lot, but enough to give the orange and little depth ad some surface shine.