Author Topic: Another Shad Lure adaptation  (Read 637 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Another Shad Lure adaptation
« on: 02/14/19 15:02 UTC »
Nothing glitzy about this photo, just real.

This is a Fat Fry tail gracing the butt on this Shad. Perfect fit using the same cavity as before. Now I have two great looking baits to use from a mold not even made for plastic use. PLUS, I can make the lead baits....a little jb temporary patch and cast away. Gotta love pure utility in one mold.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Another Shad Lure adaptation
« Reply #1 on: 02/14/19 15:48 UTC »
Looks like a good Halloween color. Nice fit also. What is the total length of it.
« Last Edit: 02/14/19 16:37 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 02/14/19 18:58 UTC »
Can’t wait to see the pics of the fish you catch with both versions
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Bucho

• Yearling
« Reply #4 on: 02/15/19 11:28 UTC »
I don`t pour plastic but if I did, I would try a lead or tin core soft vibrating lure. I came across a soft jerk last weekend that was like a real jerkbait but not-so-soft plastic, rather gum, poured over a metal frame that could be hand bend to momentary taste. Cool stufff. should have taken a photo. Here`s a link, they look like regular gliders but are relatively tough soft jerks. If you click on the "christal" color 24, you can see the metal frame.
https://www.royber.de/gummi-jerks/sickly-ii-soft-13cm/ 
« Last Edit: 02/15/19 11:31 UTC by Bucho »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/15/19 12:38 UTC »
This is a Do-It Shad Spoon in 3/4 ounce. This was finished with the color sift pearl powder, then dipped in clear plastic. The idea here is that fish may hold on a bit longer with a soft, flexible coating instead of hard lead. Not that the hard lead does not catch fish. we call these "One Eyes" and they catch the heck out of fish.

Offline Bucho

• Yearling
« Reply #6 on: 02/15/19 13:35 UTC »
I know for a fact that the shad lure catches fish but it is a bit heavy for many shore casting applications. If partly filled up with a plastic body, there would be same volume at a slower sinking rate. Just thinking...   I once tried something similar with resin in the flutter jig mold but that gave a terrible mess and I was lucky to not glue the mold together. Soft plastic seems to be more suitable.