Author Topic: Need help!  (Read 528 times)

Offline crappie29

• Minnow
Need help!
« on: 03/05/19 16:59 UTC »
Ive been approached by several customers to try and duplicate a jig. The first picture show what I’m working with... 1/4oz do it casting spoon, second picture you can see the casting spoon inside of the bait. My question is... what in the heck am I supposed to use for a “filler” to make this a bigger body jig? Mind you, you can tell that the outside layer is a clear coat, I plan on using KBS, then I’m going to assume paint and did I mention glow? Looking for suggestions on where to start... lastly I need help trying to match the color, I can’t quite get the color down, in the third picture is a close up, I’m trying not to let the black from the scales throw me off... Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Need help!
« Reply #1 on: 03/05/19 20:28 UTC »
Is the outside of the bait soft? Can you squeeze it and have it give a little? It looks to me like the basic lead lure was dipped in soft plastic.

I can't get the smaller image to expand enough to determine what the colors are you refer to. Maybe re-post the third image solo.

Offline crappie29

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 03/05/19 20:54 UTC »

Offline crappie29

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 03/05/19 20:55 UTC »
I don’t physically have my hands on it, as of right now trying to go off of pictures

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/05/19 21:03 UTC »
Do you inject your own plastics? If so, this looks like gold glitter in clear plastic that the lead lure was dipped into then water to set it. I do the same thing with the larger versions of the same lure.

Here's one that was dipped in clear then brushed with hi lite powder, the eye added then re-dipped in clear. It still needed trimming in the picture.

Offline crappie29

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 03/05/19 21:05 UTC »
I will definitely have to hit you up for some intel on this! Plastics is a whole new ball game for me

Offline Do-It Corp.

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/06/19 12:30 UTC »
Most of those spoons are lead with foil or a sticker dipped in epoxy.  Larger manufacturers will use a uv hardened epoxy to speed up production.  You could use a 2 part epoxy or Seal Coat.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/06/19 12:59 UTC »
I though of the epoxy coating but the picture looks like the covering is really thick and where the top of it is trimmed it looks like it could go either way. Probably epoxy if its a commercially made lure.

Offline crappie29

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 03/06/19 21:18 UTC »
I know for sure the outermost layer is epoxy... I plan on using either kbs or alumilite... you can definitely tell where the spoon is behind the wire, just unsure to what the first layer is...I don’t know if it would be an epoxy of some sort? Then the paint layer...glow... and then another layer or epoxy? Either way I am trying to double the size of the 1/4oz spoon without sacrificing too much weight. Planning on trying to paint both the option of perch or gill fingerling

Offline crappie29

• Minnow
« Reply #9 on: 03/06/19 21:47 UTC »
These are the last pics he just sent me

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 03/06/19 22:40 UTC »
That one will be a challenge. The admin suggested foil coating but I can't see that being used given the glow capability. It almost appears to be a white base color, then perhaps a clear coat with glow pigment, then a gold glitter coat and finished with spray for the throat patch and the darker scale pattern and black paint or sharpie to draw the black slashes be fore the final coat of epoxy gets applied.

Offline crappie29

• Minnow
« Reply #11 on: 03/18/19 10:48 UTC »
So I’m this far into it, I was able to get a small aluminum bead inside of the mold to create the cavity for a rattle, I’m going to dremel out the cavity of the mold just a little bit so the spoon gets a little more depth around the shoulder area... what have to guys found for the best glow? Be it either powder paint or other? Pro-tec white glow just doesn’t seem to be enough for me

Offline crappie29

• Minnow
« Reply #12 on: 04/13/19 15:18 UTC »
Got it!

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 04/13/19 17:01 UTC »
I’ll say you did! That looks awesome.

Offline crappie29

• Minnow
« Reply #14 on: 04/13/19 17:20 UTC »
You can definitely subtract points on the paint job, my first try with an airbrush, so I will only get better with practice there