Author Topic: paints  (Read 222 times)

Offline fly-n-finn

• Minnow
paints
« on: 03/12/19 19:54 UTC »
been making tackle forever always dipped painted looking to airbrush. what paints should i look for for airbrushing lead jigs and spoons

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
Re: paints
« Reply #1 on: 03/13/19 03:27 UTC »
Try the Folk Art Color Shift and cut with about 100% water. DecoArt also has Extreme Sheen that also works well through my .5mm airbrush.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/13/19 06:02 UTC »
Welcome to custombaits.com fly-in-finn!

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/13/19 07:06 UTC »
Welcome to the family fly-n-finn. 21xdc I take the paint is over a white base coat yes or no.

Offline fly-n-finn

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 03/16/19 18:19 UTC »
thanks for the welcome and thanks for the response on paint type

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 03/16/19 19:24 UTC »
I have used it over clear, white, silver and black....

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/17/19 12:57 UTC »
Very nice..well done!

Thanks for the tip on the paint.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/17/19 16:49 UTC »
I agree, those are very nice.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/17/19 20:55 UTC »
Awesome paint 21xdc 8)

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 03/18/19 03:43 UTC »
Thanks... I can't get the color to shift as intended when sprayed through the airbrush. It shows some in person, But not like it does when brushed on.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 03/18/19 08:06 UTC »
With all the work I have done with the color shifting paints the very best luck I have had is by applying the dry powder mixed in a clear top coat and applied over a very dark color or black. Black is what is recommended in most of the color shifting pearls I have. The best color shifting paints that are pre-mixed are in a clear top coat and while there are pigments that shift color made for use IN nail polish, black is the suggested color of nail polish and it takes a ton of the pigment to really show well.

To go further, there are white particle color-shifting pearl and dark color pearls. The white particle pearls can go over any color without actually influencing the color of the bait. The dark particle stuff mixed into the clear paint will change the finish color of the bait if jack up strong enough but not really bad.

Color shifting pearl products act just like hi lites if put directly into colored paint and will show up because they come to the paint's surface but much is lost because so much of the pigment is spread throughout the whole of the color. Its best applied as a top coat in clear over dark colors. Some interesting things could take place if stencils were used for different color shifters.

If tried adding the color shifting pigments to pain colors but its just not a very good way to apply them and results haven't been promising so this pre-mix paint most likely will give very weak results. I haven't tried it yet but have seen it in stores. I'll pass on it.