Author Topic: First trip this year  (Read 308 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
First trip this year
« on: 04/03/19 08:46 UTC »
I was up long before the sun was and headed to our local lake to see how the conditions were after all the high water that hit it three weeks ago. While the lake was right at normal summer pool it was still quite cold at 44 degrees. I thought with all the sun lately it would have been a tad bit warmer but it wasn't to be. Clarity wasn't bad at all. I settled on my favorite dock and tried  about ten different depths under a float using three or four colors of plastic but nothing was there to make my day so I gathered stuff up and came home. I really think an afternoon bite might be taking place and may have to give that a shot.

I've heard from a couple of other anglers that fish this lake that the ice pack got jammed up on the lower portion closer to the dam but didn't bother driving down that way to see for myself. At 44 degrees the water is still too cool to mess with a boat anyway.

While I was there I tried three or four of the small crankbaits I've been working with and have to say they have a very nice action and everyone I had clipped on tracked beautifully. Those that were weighed with extra shot did exactly what I had hoped. And Muskygary....if you read this they are dependent on retrieve speed to behave. Too fast and they'll let you know. So size and retrieve speed are proportional.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Re: First trip this year
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/19 09:19 UTC »
Sounds like you had a good morning of intel on the cranks. And a chance to check out your lake.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: First trip this year
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/19 14:18 UTC »
Glad their working Tom. I've had trouble with some in the pass.