Author Topic: tjs jig clamps  (Read 351 times)

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
tjs jig clamps
« on: 04/07/19 11:04 UTC »
Anyone use them for small jigs? Ive just casted a bunch of 1/32 -to 1/80 oz round ball jigs with no collar but was wondering if these jig clamps would work with a hook that small? Ive baked a few  and getting some cone heads im using several fluid beds but still getting those cone heads but my other barbed hooks never cone so im not sure if the plain old ball is more prone to cone heads or not. Anyhow thought id ask before I order thanks

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: tjs jig clamps
« Reply #1 on: 04/07/19 13:55 UTC »
Is it the paint or the lead that's pulling down? I make a mess of jigs in the same head style and powder coat. I had excess paint want to hang towards the front of the head when I heat cured them while hanging by the hook on a rod. My cure was to cut the heat back. You'll hear all sorts of rattle about needing to cure at 300 plus degrees, but my smallest heads cure so darned hard at 220 degrees for 30 minutes I could use then as bird shot. No more cones for me.

You can order the rails to hold the jigs but it won't take long for those tiny hooks to begin to slip unless you dedicate a rail or two just to them. The larger hooks under curing temps will begin to slightly open the slot and smaller hooks won't grip. I'd just get a couple rails for the smallest hooks and use them only for those dinks.

Something to think about though when considering the rails for curing. If you're getting the cones when the jigs hang from the hook vertically, what will prevent runs from going into the hook's eye when hung on one of the rails? Try the 220 degrees at 30 minutes before you spend any jingle. The paint on those dink heads heats and cures at way less heat level than larger jigs do and the cure is primo at 220.

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 04/07/19 19:11 UTC »
Hmmmm you know I never gave that no thought either.  The lead could very well be melting on those tiny jigs.  I am guilty of probably putting a tad to much paint but try my best to do a quick dip in and back out.   I will drop that temperature thank you much for that suggestion.   Yeah i was going to dedicate those jig clamps just for  the small jigs .  I will give it a try with the temperature and see how it goes.  Thankfully I didnt bake to many yet a I was going with the recomended pro tec paint directions.  Thanks Tom I sure appreciate you.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 04/07/19 21:48 UTC »
I love the jig clamps from TJ's tackle.
Wouldn't do small jigs without them.
They come with 2 clips to hold them closed but I find I only need one. So I remove one and put the other one in the middle.
No need to open them just slide the hooks in with it closed.
I haven't noticed any issues or loosening on the 3+ years of using them on all different sizes of hooks/jigs.
I think my smallest mold only goes down to 1/48 oz though.
I cure at 350*f this way for ~25 minutes and never had a problem.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 04/09/19 16:26 UTC »
Okay thanks i will get a couple soon and try them thanks

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 04/10/19 20:15 UTC »
What I have found is that some colors look better with a white base coat.
This means two coats of paint.
If I add UV blast then they have 3 coats on them.
This is where I get excess paint.
If I hang them I sometimes get nipple heads.
But with the jig clamps the excess paint runs down the hook shank and is easily removed.
No more nipple heads.
And the clamps are so easy to use.
I think I have 6 or 8 of these just because I can fit more in the oven that way.
They are totally worth it.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk