Author Topic: Chatter bait  (Read 341 times)

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Chatter bait
« on: 04/14/19 22:58 UTC »
Chatter bait mold I know there are plenty of heads that work to make them but thought it might be a challenge to see what you can come up with.

Online hawgthumper

• Kicker
Re: Chatter bait
« Reply #1 on: 04/16/19 20:11 UTC »
Chatter bait mold I know there are plenty of heads that work to make them but thought it might be a challenge to see what you can come up with.
I’d vote for that!

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 04/16/19 20:19 UTC »
The Trokar Pro Swim Jig is the best that I have found. I have tried almost a dozen different style heads. One reason I want Do-It to make a heavier size mold...  ;D

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/16/19 23:01 UTC »
It would be nice if they made a heavier size but if the had a mold made as a chatter bait they would stock blades.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/17/19 11:05 UTC »
There are many sites that you can get blades all I wanted by the post was to see if it would spark some interest and get them thinking on how they could DO-IT.

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 04/17/19 15:12 UTC »
What other sites have the coffin shaped blade?   The others I tried were not near as good... I'm all ears.

I'm just trying to help....  :D

Online Bucho

• Yearling
« Reply #7 on: 04/18/19 02:23 UTC »
Why not discuss some criterea that make a good chatterbait mold in the first place?

Do I really want to integrate the blade into the hook-eye without split ring? That would ask for an open eye jig hook, raising the question of optimal hook desighn.

Do I even want the blade to be attached to the head before painting? not so sure about that one either.   

What makes out a good chatterbait after all? Can´t imagine there was one that worked best for all species under all conditions.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/18/19 03:48 UTC »
https://www.tacklesupplydepot.com/Booyah-Melee-Blade-Vibrating-Jig-p/parent-booyah-melee-vibratingj.htm

21xdc seen this one and got me thinking of different was and places for the blade. But don’t know what the action is like. I would think that it would start vibrating fast because the blade won’t slop around like the one with a split ring.

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 04/18/19 04:10 UTC »
 :o  No way I'd use that one... The blade acts as a weed guard/fish guard... Deflecting the fish up and over the hook...  :'(

« Last Edit: 04/19/19 05:47 UTC by 21xdc »

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 04/18/19 11:10 UTC »
So as long as there is the discussion on chatter blade baits (one of my favorites) lets talk should the blade hit the head or not?
I have tried a number of different molds and have noticed that when the blade is connected directly to the hook on a poison type mold the blade will actually contact the head and add to the chatter.
On a couple styles the blade will not hit the head but still seems to vibrate.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 04/18/19 22:48 UTC »
Shape of blade and size plus weight of jig all have to work together in order for it to work. Don’t really know about the blade hitting the head maybe 21xdc might have something to say.

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 04/19/19 04:15 UTC »
I have tested most of the original makers against mine in a recorded environment. I have not seen or heard any benefit from "Hitting the head" with the blade. Mine, the blade bottoms out on the hook and makes a loud knock. I feel that stainless steel hitting hardened steel has a louder knock than stainless steel hitting soft lead... I do make mine with a direct attachment to the hook, And they start vibrating as soon as they start moving. Unlike the split ring type.

Most that have not actually built or tested this, Just jump on the "Needs to hit the head" Bandwagon...

I have never made any with a flat eye hook and split ring. I can see that this method may not make as much noise.

Below are a few samples of what I have made...

Online Bucho

• Yearling
« Reply #13 on: 04/19/19 05:13 UTC »
can I ask you what hook you use and how to open the eye? I see that moding a mold to accept a slighltly opened hook eye is very simple -if at all necessary - once one has learned that trick. 

I once made large articulated pike chatterbaits using molded-in bait connectors that worked beautyfully. Problem was they didn`t catch pike.  :-X

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #14 on: 04/19/19 05:25 UTC »
I modify each mold for a different hook style and size. The top picture is a 30* 5/0 Eagle Claw. L3886BP

I open the eye with a nail set punch in a drill press chuck. I drill a small hole in a piece of metal right near the edge and raise it up off the table. Put the finished, painted jig eye over the hole and pull drill press down and force the eye open just enough to fit the blade on. I use vise grips to close the eye. Adjust the vise grips to barely lock.