Author Topic: New year, new contraptions  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
New year, new contraptions
« on: 01/02/20 18:01 UTC »
I got the itch to try out my hand at making/painting some crank baits and decided I wanted to make a lure turner to dry the top coat. After doing some research on different finishes and picking apart different turner builds on YouTube I decided I wanted a hybrid model. That is, one I could dry regular two part epoxy or CS Seal Coat or UV resin. All the while keep dust and debris from getting on the baits. I stumbled upon the YouTube channel Engineered Angler and I must say this guy is fantastic. I borrowed from his setup.
https://youtu.be/lOQOejfM3Vk

I harvested the turner motor from a junk microwave, purchased and dissected a uv nail lamp, purchased a cardboard 12” dia concrete form tube, some foil tape used for duct work joints, and 3D printed some light brackets and the adapter to the motor shaft.   
I still need to come up with a decent way to hold the baits where I can paint, top coat and put in the dryer without touching them. I printed the orange cylinder with alligator clips so I can uv top coat jig heads and spinner baits.
I was going to wait until I had everything buttoned down before I posted but I just couldn’t wait so here it is.
« Last Edit: 01/02/20 18:04 UTC by Fishermanbt »

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: New year, new contraptions
« Reply #1 on: 01/02/20 18:11 UTC »
That's pretty advanced there big guy. Nice work

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 01/02/20 18:13 UTC »
Thanks!  Kinda like me, ugly but with a purposeful functionality.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/02/20 20:16 UTC »
That's pretty slick. Right now I can't see my work bench....sausage making time and today I boned out and cubed about 120 pounds of pork butt to mix with venison for ring bologna and venison polish sausage and to make pork brats and breakfast sausage.

That concrete tube idea really is neat. Keep us in the loop as to how well it works.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 01/06/20 20:06 UTC »
This past weekend I added some new home brew contraptions.

First I concocted a vacuum form box that I hooked my shop vac up to.  The trial run was okay but I have since changed the top with the holes in it. Considering the plastic I was using to heat up was way to thick (salvaged it from from some Christmas gift boxes) I think it stands a chance once I get some proper sheets.

Then I finished my airbrush booth. Mounted a range hood fan I salvaged a while back and added a light and scrap corrugated white plastic I had tucked away from one of the kid’s school projects

And these guys showed up today

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/07/20 05:52 UTC »
Got all that you need to get them done. Can’t wait the see the colors that you like.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/07/20 08:35 UTC »
I'm still using the paint box I made a couple years ago using a cardboard box. lol Got enough over-spray on the interior to stand all on its own. I have a good paint box on the list for this year though and hopefully can get it finished. I like the idea of the fan an filter.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 01/07/20 17:46 UTC »
Lol.  I have the trusty cardboard box reinforced with packaging tape under the work bench.  Been using it for spraying powder paint though so I can try and salvage the over spray. But it worked well for what airbrush work I was doing before that.
Gotta say it’s been fun putting these things together. Tearing things apart and repurposing this and that based on seeing working models and customizing them from my own ideas and sketches. Heck, I even made myself learn how to soldier. Mistakes were made but the education of those mistakes has been priceless.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 01/13/20 15:47 UTC »
Update. I have been testing out my el cheap o airbrush with the above “custom” made contraptions. I grew frustrated with constant clogging so I have a better airbrush on the way. 
I tried out 3 different top coats too. They were uv resin, Devcon 2 part epoxy and CS top coat. Gotta say I’m a fan of the uv stuff. Here’s what I have thus far.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/13/20 16:12 UTC »
Nice work! I like. You do know that the CS sealcoat comes in a UV enhanced formula?

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 01/13/20 17:38 UTC »
Thanks. They have a uv cure coating?  I thought that was just a uv enhanced dip and drip coating. The uv resin I’m using is workable until exposed to uv light or the sun. Pretty neat to use and a tough finish too.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 01/13/20 17:49 UTC »
That looks great.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 01/13/20 18:44 UTC »
The CS product is a dip/drip product. Which of the lures are finished with the uv resin?

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #13 on: 01/13/20 19:35 UTC »
The purple/chartreuse received 2 dips is CS, the brown/yellow top right got 1 coat Devcon, and the rest got 2 coats of uv cure resin.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 01/13/20 20:22 UTC »
Can you share a link to obtain the uv resin?