Author Topic: Bismuth Powder Coat Finish  (Read 606 times)

Offline VTLakers

• Minnow
Bismuth Powder Coat Finish
« on: 01/22/20 13:54 UTC »
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to making jigs. I live in Vermont where you cant use lead for jigs. 

Does anyone have any experience with powder coating and baking the jigs in the oven? I had approximately 40+ jigs and put them all in the oven following the instructions on the power paint. (Bake for 20 mins at 350) I checked on them at 15 mins.

I did this, but when I checked on them all i had left was about 10 or so jigs and the rest melted onto the wife's nice cooking pan. (She wasn't happy.)

If anyone could help out with any tips or tricks on how to finish coat the powder paint in the oven I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
« Last Edit: 01/22/20 14:00 UTC by VTLakers »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Bismuth Powder Coat Finish
« Reply #1 on: 01/22/20 14:00 UTC »
If I bake jigs at all I don't go any higher than 250 degrees and they cure fine. Hard as a rock. Bismuth has a lower melting temp than lead so you can do lead at 350, but its not necessary in my opinion.

By the way, welcome to the Do-It forums!

Offline VTLakers

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 01/22/20 14:02 UTC »
How long will you bake them for?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/22/20 14:22 UTC »
If I bake jigs, I do so for about 20 minutes tops. 250 degrees and like I said the paint is as hard as a rock. I have cured paint at the 350 for twenty minutes and the paint was no harder than it gets at 250 degrees. With bismuth you have to dial that heat back or find what you did. Tin too melts well below leads melting temp so care in curing has to be applied to it too.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/18/20 08:35 UTC »
VTLakers where did you get the idea that you can't use lead for lures in Vermont??? 

10 V.S.A. § 4615. Lead sinkers; sales prohibited

It is unlawful to sell or offer for sale a lead sinker in the State of Vermont. In this section, “sinker” means any device which weighs one-half ounce or less and is attached to a fishing line for the purpose of sinking the line, and does not include other lead fishing-related items such as weighted fly line, lead-core fishing line, downrigger cannon balls, weighted flies, lures, spoons, or jig heads. (Added 2003, No. 137 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. Jan. 1, 2006.)

Now if you go fishing in New Hampshire or Mass alot then yeah you need Non-Lead!! But in Vermont jigs are ok. 

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 03/04/20 22:52 UTC »
I've not done bismuth but I have done tin jigs and soldered ice blades in powder paint.
250 for 20-25 minutes seems to work fine for curing powder paint.
I also have a heat gun that is infinetly adjustable so I can dial in the temp I want. No more melted jigs before a fluid bed dip.
I don't see the point in powder painting if I'm not going to cure them.
So I cure 100% of what I powder coat!

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk