Author Topic: The sticks.....  (Read 475 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
The sticks.....
« on: 01/24/20 16:56 UTC »
17 pounds freshly stuffed, these have smoked and dried down to about 12 pounds and are ready to present themselves to my chops.

Dine on, I say....and enjoy with a beer.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: The sticks.....
« Reply #1 on: 01/25/20 08:28 UTC »
I couldn’t agree more with you on the tasty treats and a ice cold beer. But it’s OT TIME AGAIN.
By the way sweet looking sticks they wouldn’t last 2 weeks at my house.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/25/20 08:51 UTC »
I love those. I've never made em myself but they are great. Thats the only thing I let our local meat market process for me.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/25/20 10:50 UTC »
Did the sticks entirely different this year. Instead of straight venison I used 12 pounds of venison and 5 pounds of pork with the fat. Then I ground the meats with a mix of three different jerky seasoning I had vacuum sealed from last year meat work. Added the cure and stuffed in 26mm casings instead of the customary 19mm. They went from the stuffer straight to the oven to heat to the 152 degrees needed to be fully cooked, THEN to the smoker. Three hours of active smoke then they were left to hang in the smoker until the charcoal died and the smoker was cold before bringing in.

Plenty of smoke. Tastier than heck, and moist instead of really dense and tough to chew. I have another almost 6 pounds of venison that was going to go into a 10 pound batch of polish sausage but I may have to do more sticks....I can't see these being around long.