Author Topic: Purple/chartreuse tail Bubba....some thoughts  (Read 1344 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Purple/chartreuse tail Bubba....some thoughts
« on: 02/20/20 10:39 UTC »
It only stands to reason that I'd try my favorite color pattern in the Bubba so today I blocked the runner to inject only the top two cavities to do this putz work. The Bubba does a super nice job when done as a core injection but I'll share some other observations here regarding two or three color baits.

What I found by doing the tentacles as laid in pieces for a second color injection was that the very small body at the injection of the second color did not get hot enough for a decent weld. T tried heating the mold itself after placing the trimmed tentacles in place and I tried heating the second plastic color higher than the 350 degree needed for conversion, a couple colors I heated to 385 degrees using a mess of stabilizer.  Regardless of what I did the tentacles would come off with the least of tugs.

I think the only way to get a decent two color bait is to use the core method. I have had really good luck doing the cores on the Bubba mold with .030 pins I cut from wire shafts I got from Do-It. The pins lay flat in the cavities on opposing sides of the runner and stay put while clamping. Having the pins cover two cavities is just slick. The resulting baits are plenty strong as far as the tentacles goes with the core acting as an anchor and no welds to mess with. The core color tentacles rip off before anything with the core starts. And the baits are very clean, neat baits.

Another little tidbit here is that when injecting the first color you'll get little nubs of plastic ion the very ends of the tentacles. Remove these prior to trying to re-insert the body portion for a second color injection....the bodies with the tentacles still attached go back in the mold much better without the nubs getting in the way than with them still hanging on.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Purple/chartreuse tail Bubba....some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 02/20/20 11:15 UTC »
There really going to see that one from a distance. Awesome as always there TOM
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/20/20 14:10 UTC »
That color combo is very good for crappie, but I'd hate to have to pour a hundred!

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/21/20 12:22 UTC »
Great color combo.

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/21/20 14:14 UTC »
Those look fantastic ctom  Now is that .40 Purple flake mixed in that purple colorant?  I just love this little Bubba Bug mold and probably going to make up a bunch myself after bit.   I notice I keep getting small tiny dimples which bugs the heck out of me   but i will just deal with it.  I tried really low temperatures even and the only thing i can think of is its a humidity issue for me.   

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/29/20 14:50 UTC »
The flake in these is .008 Shaun.

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/29/20 16:54 UTC »
Excuse me I was meaning  .15 flake.   Yeah I think I'm going to order some of that  .008 flake  here soon.  Nice looking baits though always like your work.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/29/20 19:06 UTC »
Study your molds before you add glitter Shaun. Some molds have very thin or fine appendages and heavy glitter can stop plastic from entering those. I seldom use .040 glitter even though I have it in maybe four colors. On really delicate baits I'll use glitter as fine as .004.

Offline 2fly fishes

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 02/24/21 21:04 UTC »
Where do I buy this mold?v

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/25/21 06:14 UTC »
Where do I buy this mold?v

It's in the Crappie panfish section of the molds on the Do it store ts called bubba scud and it is one awesome little bait I destroy bluegill on them.