It only stands to reason that I'd try my favorite color pattern in the Bubba so today I blocked the runner to inject only the top two cavities to do this putz work. The Bubba does a super nice job when done as a core injection but I'll share some other observations here regarding two or three color baits.
What I found by doing the tentacles as laid in pieces for a second color injection was that the very small body at the injection of the second color did not get hot enough for a decent weld. T tried heating the mold itself after placing the trimmed tentacles in place and I tried heating the second plastic color higher than the 350 degree needed for conversion, a couple colors I heated to 385 degrees using a mess of stabilizer. Regardless of what I did the tentacles would come off with the least of tugs.
I think the only way to get a decent two color bait is to use the core method. I have had really good luck doing the cores on the Bubba mold with .030 pins I cut from wire shafts I got from Do-It. The pins lay flat in the cavities on opposing sides of the runner and stay put while clamping. Having the pins cover two cavities is just slick. The resulting baits are plenty strong as far as the tentacles goes with the core acting as an anchor and no welds to mess with. The core color tentacles rip off before anything with the core starts. And the baits are very clean, neat baits.
Another little tidbit here is that when injecting the first color you'll get little nubs of plastic ion the very ends of the tentacles. Remove these prior to trying to re-insert the body portion for a second color injection....the bodies with the tentacles still attached go back in the mold much better without the nubs getting in the way than with them still hanging on.