Author Topic: Question about thermometers  (Read 1478 times)

Offline AbeFroman

• Minnow
Question about thermometers
« on: 06/05/20 15:32 UTC »
I've seen some posts (not just here) that people say that they use infrared thermometer, is there a reason why you use infrared over a probe thermometer to determine the temp of your plastic??

Also, doesn't infrared read just the surface temperature? (It may be different with plastisol and read a more internal temp, I don't know, I"m just starting out, currently in the process of buying stuff), but wouldn't you want the internal temp to be 350?

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Question about thermometers
« Reply #1 on: 06/05/20 15:44 UTC »
Infra Red will read the surface temperature (usually a solid)

A digital probe thermometer will read the temperature of a liquid. Especially effective if you use it to stir the plastic.

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 06/05/20 19:21 UTC »
https://www.restaurantsupply.com/media/catalog/product/cache/47f90410e89ec696b19c8b5e4c63b554/3/5/3516_taylor-1.jpg

Most grocery store have something like this. Don’t touch the Pyrex with the probe or it will give a false reading. I move mine around after stiring.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/08/20 19:56 UTC »
A digital probe thermometer will read the temperature of a liquid. Especially effective if you use it to stir the plastic.

This is my practice exactly... it gets pretty important when shooting cores a bit hotter while avoiding the potential of scorching the plastic.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 06/08/20 20:24 UTC »

I have been using the Char-Broil instant-read digital thermometer for years. As mentioned, it also makes a great stir rod!
This Instant Read Digital Thermometer will read temperatures from 32°F (0°C) to 392°F (200°C).

Make sure you get this model because it reads to 392F ! (Double check on the package and make sure this is still true. I've had mine for many years). The Char-Broil website still states that it reads to 392F.

INSTANT READ DIGITAL THERMOMETER
MODEL #4867720

https://www.charbroil.com/instant-read-digital-temp-gauge#questions[

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/char-broil-instant-read-digital-thermometer/0000000257262?bc=

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-Digital-Probe-Meat-Thermometer/1000105743

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/08/20 20:39 UTC »
Just curious Andy....why is the one from Lowes listed at $5.99 and the other two at $19.99? Are you certain the one at Lowes is the one you're referring to? seems odd to see such a disparity in pricing.

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 06/08/20 21:25 UTC »
One thing that I found, by accident in my early days with plastic is the it usually burns from the inside out.
This for sure means it's way hotter on the inside/core.
A thermal thermometer reads the surface temperature and that can be different depending on the color and even if it is glossy or dull.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/08/20 22:41 UTC »
I don't know why there is a difference in price.  i wonder if the Lowes price is an error.

I bought mine at Fleet Farm.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 06/08/20 22:46 UTC »
One thing that I found, by accident in my early days with plastic is the it usually burns from the inside out.
This for sure means it's way hotter on the inside/core.
A thermal thermometer reads the surface temperature and that can be different depending on the color and even if it is glossy or dull.

I believe you meant to say that an Infra-Red thermometer measures the surface temperature. Which as you mention is a bit of a problem if the center is a lot hotter!

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 06/09/20 10:33 UTC »
I believe you meant to say that an Infra-Red thermometer measures the surface temperature. Which as you mention is a bit of a problem if the center is a lot hotter!
Yep that's what my brain was thinking, fingers were not.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 06/09/20 13:12 UTC »
The ball of heat center mass in the plastic is why a vigorous stirring is needed between shots of heat