Author Topic: Exploding cups  (Read 258 times)

Online hawgthumper

• Kicker
Exploding cups
« on: 07/21/20 12:28 UTC »
It’s been an interesting day so far. Had not one but two of my cups break today. One actually did it in the microwave. I know you can’t sit a hot cup on a cool surface but it was wood covered with cardboard. Baffled.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Exploding cups
« Reply #1 on: 07/21/20 14:04 UTC »
This can happen if the cups have any scratches in the glass deep enough to create an expansion area. I was my cups religiously and do a thorough check for scratches or minute cracks. I've had more than a couple do that and they were relatively new. I've never had one pop that was older Pyrex. I use a lot of 4 ounce pyrex custard cups, some of which are as old as I am or older and none of them have ever blown, but the newest have..

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/21/20 14:06 UTC »
WOW Hope you didn't get burned.

Online hawgthumper

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 07/21/20 15:40 UTC »
WOW Hope you didn't get burned.
No injuries. Just a little “pop” and plastic started leaking out the side of the cup. The second one was still in the microwave and when I tried to pick it up it just came apa.

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 07/22/20 20:43 UTC »

Hawgthumper, you were very lucky, twice. Usually when that happens there is some burnt skin somewhere. You need to buy a lottery ticket.
 Glad you weren't hurt.

Online hawgthumper

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 07/23/20 03:41 UTC »
Hawgthumper, you were very lucky, twice. Usually when that happens there is some burnt skin somewhere. You need to buy a lottery ticket.
 Glad you weren't hurt.
No kidding!

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 07/23/20 20:32 UTC »
I had a cup break on me when I first started. I tried to mix glitter in before cooking my plastisol. (BAD IDEA) Seems after stirring, the glitter settled in the center of the cup's bottom. Evidently the glitter got hot enough from the microwave that it basically burnt the cup and cracked it.  I couldn't think of another explanation.
« Last Edit: 07/23/20 22:01 UTC by Lines »