Author Topic: Anyone making 1/32 oz. Round head jigs?  (Read 617 times)

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Anyone making 1/32 oz. Round head jigs?
« on: 11/30/20 21:57 UTC »
Hello everyone.
Is anyone on here making 1/32 oz. round head jigs with size 8 hooks and no collar?
I wanted to order a Pro 101 jig mold #1249, but want to be sure of size and balance of the jig first.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Anyone making 1/32 oz. Round head jigs?
« Reply #1 on: 11/30/20 22:15 UTC »
I have the mold and make lots of them with the #8 hooks. I use primarily Lil Nasty hooks. Balance is great.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/30/20 22:55 UTC »
Thanks ctom. Is the size 8 hook large enough to handle the 2.5" crappie fluke?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 12/01/20 07:29 UTC »
NADA. A size six would be minimal. Optimal hook size for that crappie fluke is a #4. The pro head is sized for both #6 and #8 but if you have a Dremel a size 4 can be squeaked in the cavities easily by enlarging the hook eye portion upward and away from the head portion slightly to handle the longer leg then just lay #4 hooks in the mold, close it and give it a swap on the side with a plastic or rubber mallet while holding the handles closed tightly. Check for complete mold closure then open the mold and check for the #4 hook tip placement and if needed just buzz a small pocket to accommodate the hook tips with the Dremel.

I like the fluke in warm water but fish it solely using #4 hooks. 1/16 and 3/32 makes for a good swimming bait in the fluke while that 1.32 offers a really unique drop with the fluke. Around brush the 1/32 with the #4 makes that fluke drive crappies buried in the limbs nuts because the drop rate is slow enough to not get past limbs so fast it cannot be worked back over them.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/01/20 08:33 UTC »
Thanks ctom. I mainly want to use the crappie fluke, so the #3506 mold may be a better choice. I also like the wire bait keeper for that mold. I noticed that the Pro 101 mold is out of stock everywhere. That seems to be my luck lately. Maybe it's a sign from above.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 12/01/20 09:39 UTC »
I have that mold as well Lines and it does the #4 clean without any messing around. It'll do a #2 Lil Nasty if you rout out the pocket tor the point of the hook.

That 1/24 in the mold is a sleeper weight. Its a real nice weight when you need just a bit more weight to get a larger bait to sink fast enough or if you need just a tad more for casting. For years I was strictly a 1/32 guy but in the spring now I'll use the 1/24 as much as the 1/32 and this fall's fishing with slip floats I found the 1/24 to get things done nicely. As this fall's water has cooled I have switched down to 1/16 pretty much when I have to deal with shale ice.

The #8 hook in the 1/32is a perfect size the larger of the wax wigglers. I use a side cutter and snip about 2/3 of the keeper barb back which leaves plenty for holding narrower or smaller profile plastics without splitting issues. You won't need to do that with the Crappie Fluke though.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/01/20 20:19 UTC »
I was thinking that the 1/24 size would be perfect in the current behind river pilings and brush piles. Sounds like the mold for me will be #3506. Thanks ctom.