Author Topic: Bass-O-Rama  (Read 1970 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Bass-O-Rama
« on: 03/16/12 10:41 UTC »
My fishing buddy and I had one of those “epic” days…when everything aligns and you catch fish darn near nonstop. First let me set it up.

It’s the middle of March (winter supposedly) in Minnesota. Normally Mid-March is prime ice fishing for panfish…but not this year! Record warm winter, and now record shattering warm weather in the 60’s and 70’s with nothing but sunshine! That coupled with no snow…which means no cold run off… and the water temperatures are at unheard of temps for this time of the year.
The spot we were fishing sits at the end of a very large backwater cattail and lilly pad area of about 3 sq. miles. With all the sun, warm air and mud bottom it warms up quickly. The water then funnels through a big culvert into the backwater slough that we were fishing. The water temperature on the river  is 42…in this slough…56!

So…the minnows (mostly emerald shiners and shad) STACK into this area…which attracts the largemouth…and then the magic begins!

I got there at 1pm and was the only boat there all day! My buddy was fishing in his kayak and we casted to the bait getting blown up by the bass all day long! Most of the bass where small, in the 12-14” range…but still fun! I managed one that went 4lb 2 oz and Ryan got one that almost went 6lb.

The quantity bait of the day was the 2.5 swim fry, and it also landed my 4lber.  My “record” of the day was 18 fish  in a row (casts)..so the number of fish really starts to add up!

The 3.5” Swim Shad was also hot…especially if I fished it like a dying shad…and let it fall to the bottom. Most of the hits came as it hit the bottom…or as I slowly lifted it up.

The other popular bait for the day was the 3” Skinny carrot fished like a jerk bait on a simple lead head jig. I’m pretty confident that this bait will be the big numbers bait for this year. It looks perfect (especially the baby bass colors) and is the perfect size. I would love to see this bait with a thumper tail!

Forecast for 80 degrees today…and all weekend. The wife works all weekend. Guess what my plans are for the weekend!!!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline firetiger

• Kicker
Re: Bass-O-Rama
« Reply #1 on: 03/19/12 20:17 UTC »
That's why we go fishing.  You never know when it's going to be a bass-o-rama kind of day!  Congrats on the great day.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Bass-O-Rama....That's why they call in "fishing"...
« Reply #2 on: 03/20/12 09:00 UTC »
Well.....the weekend did NOT meet expectations! (no surprise there!).

With a very strong SE wind and very low stage the flow reversed itself and started drawing water from the slough into the backwater swamp...instead of the normal way around! There were a bunch of guys standing there gawking at it...apparently it doesn't happen very often (I've never seen the flow reverse).

The result was ...no current into the slough...no baitfish...no bass! I only got a couple in a hour...and they sure were not anything to brag about!

I guess that is why when the fishing is good....take advantage...because it will change!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Re: Bass-O-Rama
« Reply #3 on: 03/20/12 11:53 UTC »
That's when you find the subsurface channel that the sough drains through and follow it to where it meets the first drop or junction.  The fish probably moved to this ambush point.  Or the first down current breakline that would concentrate the minnows that were in the slough.