Author Topic: 2" Rippers  (Read 321 times)

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
2" Rippers
« on: 10/06/20 16:34 UTC »
Hi guys anyone use those little 2" Rippers and have you had any luck on them for the Crappies?  And what size  hook should I use with them? I just got the mold and was wondering  the #6 hook looks to be not big enough.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: 2" Rippers
« Reply #1 on: 10/06/20 18:23 UTC »
1/16 heads with a #4 hook works great for the 2" Rippers. The 2.5" Rippers will need a #2 at least, maybe even a size 1  on at least a 3/32 or 1/8 head. Personally I see the 2" Rippers geared more towards northern states where mouth parts are somewhat smaller in the crappies while in or below lower Iowa the 2.5" Rippers may be even a tad small because Crappies further south tend to have larger mouths. I get quite a few crappies thru the summer months using the 2" Rippers.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/06/20 18:45 UTC »
Hi Shaunm81. I also bought the 2" Ripper mold. I have shot a few of them, but have not had a chance to use any yet.
 Thanks ctom for the hook size information. I'll test it out to see how they look with those sizes.
 I also have the 2.5", and the 3" Ripper molds.
 Been a busy year moving and remodeling our new location. Almost finished. Next spring looks promising for a lot of field testing with all my new creations.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 10/07/20 00:47 UTC »
The white and yellow bass I think would crush both of them. The white bass by me don’t have a problem getting the 3”.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 10/08/20 21:36 UTC »
Okay thanks I will use a #4 with them.  Now my lead mold is the ball only with the 1/16 #4 but also has multiple sizes and I usually use the #6 in the 1/32 oz slot that the mold calls for but would it hurt if I made some 1/32 ball heads using the #4 hook? The reason I'm asking is I mostly fish on the shallower side of water so a 1/16 would hit bottom faster so id like to know if it would be okay to cast some #4 hooks in the 1/32 oz spot.

Lines that's awesome  I want the 2.5" and 3 here soon I'm thinking.   Let me know how you like them  once you get a chance.  Where ya from?

Walleye that's awesome probably going to get the 3 inch next I'm thinking.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 10/09/20 05:25 UTC »
A #4 hook in the 1/32 head is doable but be sure to check the fit in a dry run. I have plenty of times used this light head with a 4 on somewhat bulkier baits like the 2.5" Small Fry and the 2 1/2" Stinger Wutz-It and three inch gliders to get in addition to hook clearance, but a really sweet lazy drop action.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 10/09/20 06:01 UTC »
Lines that's awesome  I want the 2.5" and 3 here soon I'm thinking.   Let me know how you like them  once you get a chance.  Where ya from?
ShaunM81, I will keep you posted on the rippers. I am now living in Northeast Alabama between Weiss Lake and Neely Henry Lake.

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 10/10/20 22:53 UTC »
Great Thanks I will make up some and see how that goes.   I was out yesterday evening hoping for some Crappie and Rigged up a Chartreuse 2" Ripper and had my light weight Crappie combo and hooked into about a 2lb Bass it was a nice little fight on that light gear.

Lines that is where I would love to do some Crappie fishing you all have some nice ones down your way hope someday I'll be able to maybe come down that way and fish for them.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 10/10/20 23:45 UTC »
We just moved here in March Shaunm81. I have only been bank fishing for an hour on Weiss lake so far, but caught 3 crappie and 1 spotted bass. We have been fixing up the house we bought, and we should be done by Christmas. Hopefully everything will be good for next spring. I plan to get a new boat this winter to hit the lakes and rivers around this area. I'll keep you posted, and maybe we can hook up for a trip next year.

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 10/13/20 06:52 UTC »
Yeah that sounds good Lines.