Author Topic: MIDWEST FINESSE  (Read 397 times)

Offline Cheese Molds

• Minnow
MIDWEST FINESSE
« on: 02/02/21 14:27 UTC »
Pouring multiple sizes at once with 1/0 hooks, the eye gets filled with lead. Am i doing something wrong, or is the mold faulty?

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Re: MIDWEST FINESSE
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/21 14:28 UTC »
Which hooks are you using?

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/02/21 14:40 UTC »
Try lowering your temp a little. Are you using a bottom pour pot?  If so what number is the dial set on? 

Online efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/02/21 19:31 UTC »
Hey Cheese-

It's highly unlikely the mold is bad (though it could happen), so I'm inclined to think in-line with bassin and bt... chances are you are using an incorrect hook and/or your lead might be too hot.  Check both of these and I'm guessing your problem will go away.

Offline Cheese Molds

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 02/03/21 08:45 UTC »
Thanks guys,   I believe we had Gami 5014 hooks. We do have a bottom pour pot, I am not sure what temp we had it set at.  My buddy was pouring and I was trimming.  I will ask him what it was at and try turning it down.  What would be recommended?

Going to be in the negative temps for a high here in Wisconsin on Saturday.  Good day to make some jigs!

Cheese Molds

Online efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/03/21 09:10 UTC »
You'll have to do some experimenting... it depends on how hot your mold is (your overall production time and speed factor into this), what size cavities you are filling, and the fact that the rheostats controlling  temperature have some variance from pot to pot.  For comparable jigs, I usually start casting with mine at 7, but then turn it down to 4 after everything is up to temp.  Again, you'll have to experiment, but if you get too cold, you'll start to see ripples in your casting.

For really big cavities, you'll want to start higher/hotter and stay higher/hotter... you can also (or may need to) pour using a ladle or directly from a tippable pot to prevent rippling.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/03/21 09:13 UTC »
I know the hooks Do-It designed the head around cast nice with plenty of clearance at the eye. Check the height of the leg in the Gammi to see if it is maybe short for that head. I could not find a Gammi in the hook number you gave but I am guessing the leg length is too short if the eye is filling with lead.

Offline Cheese Molds

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 02/03/21 09:21 UTC »
Sounds like I need to experiment. Thanks again for the advice.

Cheese Molds

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/04/21 08:21 UTC »
I had similar issues with my mold when using the Eagle Claw lil nasty hooks but when I switched to Owner or Mustad (I'm at work and can't remember which I apologize) it fixed my issue without making any changes to my mold, pot temp, etc.  The new hooks have a thicker wire hook which seemed to be my issue.